450C not moving

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
jspencer
MC crawler
MC crawler

450C not moving

Post by jspencer » Thu Nov 18, 2021 4:47 pm

My dad was using our 450c to clear a fenceline of light brush. He was done for the day and put it into reverse. No weird noises or anything. It never backed up and hasn't moved on its own since. We used the winch to back it out and then pulled it to the house. I was able to steer and all hydraulics worked as usual. The "manual" clutch had been giving trouble in that we had to lower the rpms all the way down to shift through 1-4. Sometimes we had to shut it off to shift. Hi, lo, reverse worked fine until the minute it stopped. If I try to shift gears it still "grinds" so I assume the issue with the manual clutch hasn't changed and honestly we can live with it. We rarely change gears once we begin working after travelling to the work area. Where should I start? Not crazy about changing the clutch, but can jump on it if that sounds like the problem. My best attempt at reading the SN from the block is 4219?T 01 522465. The 5th digit may be a t. Am i correct in interpreting it to be an 83? Thanks in advance for any help.

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: 450C not moving

Post by Jim B » Thu Nov 18, 2021 7:05 pm

Welcome to the board, to bad you're starting this way.

First thing the engine serial number is not the main serial number you need. There should be a tag on the front of the battery box, right where you would see it when you get on the operator's station, That is the crawler serial number which is most important (other than a few engine items). There is a listing of 450 model (by series) serial number to year in the third posting on the FAQ Board.

Simple things first. Have you checked to see that the shift linkage didn't loose a pin or such? Is the transmission fluid in the operating range on the dipstick?

The hydraulic system has its own reservoir (under the right armrest) and hydraulic oil for the blade is is supplied from the front pump, driven by the crank, it is not transmission related.

The winch (should be a 3325) has it's own hydraulic system. The fact that you could use the winch to move the crawler indicates the mechanical drive through the engine clutch and transmission to the winch is intact.

Sounds like HLR pressure checks are in order, at least to rule that system out. I am thinking an internal mechanical failure like a sheared shaft. stripped coupling, or sheared rivets (ring gear) are the other possibilities.

Do you have the technical manual for it? 450C uses John Deere TM1102. If you don't contact Lavoy, he has manuals in his store, and he can likely get one if he doesn't have one in stock.

jspencer
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by jspencer » Thu Nov 18, 2021 8:39 pm

I looked all over for SN tags and the one on the motor was all I could find. Ill check again tomorrow.

I've checked the linkage and even taken the top off the transmission. It shifts the valve body on top of the transmission with no slop or play.

Transmission fluid is in range. Replaced the filter at the front of the engine and the strainer on the side beside the track.

I have a manual but wanted to verify the SN to make sure its the correct one. Ill check to see if its tm1102 when I get to the shop tomorrow.

I guess i need to get a gage and start going through the HLR checks like you suggested.
Thanks for the information and suggestions.

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Jim B » Thu Nov 18, 2021 9:30 pm

This is a picture of a late 350 showing a tag. The serial number tag on a 450C should be in the same location, front panel of the battery box. If you have two 1/8" holes about 3 to 4 inches apart in that area, the serial number to identify the machine with has been removed.

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Jim B » Fri Nov 19, 2021 5:21 am

The other place 450s had the machine serial number tag located was on the front of the panel below the seat, about where it would be behind your right calf when setting in the seat. It also would have been held on with rivets/drive screws and would have the same two 1/8" holes in that panel as described for the tag on the front panel of the battery box. The down side to that is if you find a tag, or the holes where it was, below the seat; its not a 450C. The tags were moved to the battery box panel mid-production of the 450Bs.

jspencer
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by jspencer » Fri Nov 19, 2021 4:43 pm

Found it stamped on the battery box where the tag used to be. 343673. That makes it an 80 model if I understand correctly. I have the correct manual and have begun reading up on it. I’ll keep you guys updated.

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Jim B » Fri Nov 19, 2021 4:47 pm

Good to hear you found it, and you are correct it is a 1980 unit number. Good luck.
Jim

slabguy
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by slabguy » Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:05 am

I don't have a good snapshot out of the manual but my dozer had a similar issue last year and it ended up that I needed to adjust the clutch tension bolt that's under the floorboard on the left side. Maybe someone can take a snapshot out of the manual on where this is located. I have had to adjust it one more time since then but it seems to make the clutch snappier and solve the issue of no drive when in gear. This is probably an indicator of clutch wear but I'm not sure.