Identifying JD450 model & year missing SN/VIN

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
Work-n-man
MC crawler
MC crawler

Identifying JD450 model & year missing SN/VIN

Post by Work-n-man » Sun Dec 05, 2021 2:29 pm

Hello everyone,
Joined today after reading threads realizing this forum is a wealth of knowledge for my recent purchase of a JD450 (?) to bring it operational allowing me to begin road, build site & pond work come spring.
Below is what I know of my JD450 (?) after research. I believe I have JD450B having 4239 engine (pre-turbo) and dry cluthes (pre JD450C wet clutch). Any other location i can locate to identify model and year? Not sure how i can order manuals and parts without this information.

JD450
Model ??
Year ??
VIN ?? Plate missing from below seat.

Engine Ssrial Number
T04239D225829
4239DF001
4 = Four Cylinder
D = Normally Aspirated

8 Speed, HLR
Fuel = Diesel
6 way blade
work-n-man
JD450 (?)

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: Identifying JD450 model & year missing SN/VIN

Post by Jim B » Sun Dec 05, 2021 4:38 pm

Welcome to the board.

A bit of housekeeping. You should post about your 450 on the late models board as that is where models 350, 450 and newer are grouped. Not a problem, but you will likely find your post gets moved over there at some point, it didn't disappear.

You say the tag is missing from below the seat. Are you saying that because you have found the two rivet holes that held it there? If the rivet holes are there it is a 450 or 450B serial number 142199 or before. Starting with serial number 142200 the JD parts books say the tag was located on the front panel of the battery box. You can look at the flange, around the top cover, of the differential housing. Some have found the serial numbers stamped in there. Without the serial number I don't think you will identify a year for certain.

I take it you have looked in the steering clutch compartments and confirmed they are dry clutches. There were some (exact number unknown) of the late 450Bs that have the wet steering clutches and brakes.

As far as the engine serial number helping, I don't think it will at all, in fact it adds confusion. According to on-line info (JD parts catalog and Non-Current Models site) here is some engine info. Straight 450s used the 4-180 gas and 4-202 diesel engines, 450Bs used the 4-219, the 450Cand 450D used the 4-219T. None used the 4-239 naturally aspirated or turbocharged (and the 450E used the 4276T). So, it looks like whichever series 450 you have, it is not the original engine and won't help identify the model or year.

Up through the E series they all used that transmission, referred to as an HLR. The HLR has 4 speed ranges (gear transmission) with high,
low and reverse speeds in the hydraulic "reverser".

The inside mounted 6-way hydraulic blade (model 6405) was used on the 450 series up through the E series. For the 450 and 450B the blade has a separate parts catalog from the base crawler, for 450C and later series the blades are included in the crawler parts catalogs.

So, this isn't much help in pinpointing your exact series or year. If you see the two rivet holes in the panel below the seat it narrows it down to a 450 or 450B prior to serial number 142200 (that serial number would date it in the later part of 1972).
Jim

Work-n-man
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by Work-n-man » Mon Dec 06, 2021 7:44 am

Thank you Jim
I am not sure how to move post to correct late model board, apologizes for this error. Hooing admin may be able to update, I'll becsure to search if I don't see it here.

I've located a photo of a plate attached by two rivets (will figure out how to post photo) that I believe to be serial number, don't recall its location on the crawler at the moment. The has two numbers (Type) E6405, (Serial) 002440.

Previous owner did mention moter had been replaced, know I know based on your input it was not like for like. The number I have for engine will aid in parts search. Question would be what issues might I encounter with it not being used in my model (any model) of 350/450 series?

Steering cluthes, I opened the top access plates to adjust (again photos unable to share at the moment). Sitting in cockpit left side (battery box) was clean and dry. Right side hydraulic tank most and dirty which tells me I have a leak to locate. Access plates had no gaskets which I've seen online resolved by innertube, permanently or silicone, suggestions for prevention of moisture entering clutcb/brake compartment? I'm in upper midwest so rain , humidity and working in water/mud will impact leaving drain plugs out. I do cover operator's cockpit to keep rain out but humidity and water/mud still a factor.

Thanks again and appreciate the knowledge sharing.
work-n-man
JD450 (?)

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Jim B » Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:46 am

Lavoy will likely move your post when he sees it. Don't worry about that, I just didn't want you to think it had been deleted if its not on this Board later.

I expect the plate you found is on the dozer frame, right side upright maybe. That plate would be the ID/serial number plate for just the blade. It is a 6405 blade. Having the plate on the blade attachment keeps it in the 450 to 450B range. It would be a stretch, but a dealer might be able to get something for a date range on the blade. I wouldn't recommend you hold your breath on that, however. One of the fellows with a 450/450B might be along and say what their blade serial number is and what their crawler is to get you closer on crawler ID.

Many of the 4219 and 4239 engine parts are interchangeable, so there shouldn't be any real issues. The 4239 gives a bit more power so is a good upgrade (the 4202 was replaced by the 4219 which was replaced by the 4239). The water pumps may be different if your engine has the oil cooler mounted right between the block and the engine oil filter. The 450/450B didn't use that cooler so the water pump wouldn't have the hose ports for one. And you have the engine serial number which will be a plus if you ever have to get into it internally.

Dry steering clutches makes it a 450 or 450B. As I posted before if the two rivet holes are in the panel below the seat its serial number is 142199 or lower and it could be a 450B or a straight 450.

This site has a dedicated picture server you can read about on the Messageboard Q&A and Announcements Board, visible at the bottom of the list of boards when you are signed in. You need to set up a separate account for the picture server with Lavoy to have your own galley on it. The sever was set up several years ago after the changes Photobucket made, which deleted many photos. Or you have to use another third-party hosting site like Photobucket, Imgur, or Postimages.
Jim

Work-n-man
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by Work-n-man » Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:30 am

Jim,
Great idea to work blade SN to possibly identify model, I'll inquire of local JD dealer but not hold my breath keeping hope someone will pickup the issue to offer input on the message board. I will locate blade plates location this weekend as well look for VIN plate below seat, battery box & differential housing.

Extra power is a plus on engine, will research the 4239 parts catalog and note your input regarding water pump as well as look for oil cooler

Steering cluthes, is there multiple options on the 450 or 450B that finding the model and year are critical prior to ordering?
work-n-man
JD450 (?)

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Jim B » Mon Dec 06, 2021 1:06 pm

Here are a couple pictures that may help you locate the crawler tag (or rivet holes where it used to be). Those will be two, 1/8" holes, about 3-4" apart horizontally.

Where is your reverser lever located? The HLR lever moved from the floor (between the operator's legs to the left armrest at the same serial number break as the tags changed location.

Lavoy sells parts and he can answer for certain, but if my memory is right the dry clutch parts and brakes are the same on the straight 450's and 450B's.
Jim