John Deere 450

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
B Town
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: John Deere 450

Post by B Town » Thu Jan 13, 2022 7:38 pm

Good luck with your project/swap. Where are you located? Definitely interested in parts, when you get ready to list them.
Bruce

Garymcd
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by Garymcd » Thu Jan 13, 2022 8:08 pm

I am in Arp Texas. What are you needing?

cordlesscarpenter
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by cordlesscarpenter » Sat Jan 15, 2022 3:11 pm

I too just replaced the steering clutches on my project. When you crack into the steering clutches again, on either machine, I would highly recommend not only adjusting the pressure plates with the gage (this must be done or your steering clutches will not operate properly) but also would recommend replacing the "adjustment" nuts and bolts pressure plate's with grade 8 nuts and bolts. The nuts and bolts that come stock, used for adjustment of the pressure plate are not only not graded bolts but the nut is half the thickness of a normal nut with only like 2 threads. You would likely find that the stock adjustment nut/bolt combo will feel mushy, like if you tighten it just a wee bit more it's gonna strip, that's because it will (mine did). I swapped to grade 8 and the adjustment was flawless and was able to tighten everything down nicely. I passed this info on to the vendor who sold me the pressure plates and they said they get them directly from John Deere.

I would first ask Lavoy if he sells the steering clutch pressure plate gage, if he doesn't sell one, General Gear up in Idaho sells a gage that has the steering clutch adjustment on one side and engine clutch adjustment on the other.

On a side note, as you are well aware, getting access to the steering clutch/brake compartment on these is very involved... I would suggest inspecting the throwout bearing, all springs and brake bands. Small price to pay for peace of mind and dodging the frustration that comes with that repair.

Your down'd machine that you are selling parts on is a 450? or 450B? Do you know the year?

~ Darrell