priming the diesel fuel system after fuel filter change on 350B

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
Andy B
420 crawler
420 crawler

priming the diesel fuel system after fuel filter change on 350B

Post by Andy B » Sun Jan 02, 2022 11:37 am

On to my next adventure...

I finished my starter project, but I had to pull off the diesel transfer pump, and while I was in there I replaced the two fuel filters. Apparently I have an aftermarket transfer pump without a priming lever. Is there any way to prime the diesel fuel system at least as far as the fuel filters without that priming lever?

I am guessing not.
I don't want to risk damage to the injector pump by just cranking the engine until the system is primed.

Any good source for a transfer pump with a priming lever?

Lavoy, do you have any in stock?

Andy B
1968 JD 350B diesel with Drott 4-in-1 Bucket

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: priming the diesel fuel system after fuel filter change on 350B

Post by Jim B » Sun Jan 02, 2022 12:25 pm

Replacing the pump is best, but if you must get it started prior to getting one, there are a couple ways you can try.

First, If you used a WIX type fuel filter, be sure the top seal ring gaskets are in the groove up in the housing head, not down in the relief area with slots in the top of the element itself. A seal ring gasket in the relief of the element will prevent fuel flow. This is a common error.

One way: I have filled filters before through the bleeder screw openings. Be sure you have clean fuel to do this with and it is slow going. They need to set a few minutes after they act full to be sure the level doesn't drop and need more fuel added.

Another way: Since the transfer pump is between the tank and filters it may not gravity bleed. If your fuel tank is full or well above the filters, it may gravity bleed over time if you open the filter bleeder vents. You can also open them and try using an air nozzle, holding a rag around it in the tank fill opening, and putting a little air pressure in the tank. when the filter bleeders run clear fuel out, close the bleed screws and the tank cap.

In either case for starting, open it up about half throttle, or better, then try it. Starting at an idle usually leads to an air bubble killing it, then you will be trying to bleed injector lines as well. If it starts keep it running half throttle or better for a few minutes to clear the system.

Best to send Lavoy a direct email (postmaster@jdcralers.com) with parts inquiries. He has requested that or a phone call during business hours as things in posts and PMs sometimes get missed.
HTH
Jim

Andy B
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by Andy B » Sun Jan 02, 2022 1:01 pm

Jim,

Thanks for the tip on the top gasket. I will double check that.

I was thinking of attempting a gravity bleed by leaving the bleeder open on top of the filter housing. I may do that, since my fuel tank is fairly full. I can probably just leave the bleeder open over night, since I wasn't seeing much action out of it today. LOL

I think I'm going to order a new pump, since it is going to get dark soon and I don't want to work on it at night. It won't be above 30 again here until Friday.

I'll email Lavoy and see if he has one in stock.

Andy B

cordlesscarpenter
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by cordlesscarpenter » Sat Jan 15, 2022 3:33 pm

Either way you go, with a new pump or gravity bleed, I've always done it by the book and have always had good success... The book says after priming with the transfer pump (which I realize you can't do) and before you crank the engine, you'll need to crack the fuel lines where they connect to the injectors and crank the engine, for a few seconds at a time, until you see fuel coming from ALL 4 lines you cracked, then tighten them down and she'll crank right up.

I've also been told by my local engine machine shop guru that he cracks the lines right where they enter the injection pump and follows the same principle from above. I've never done it this way but he's done it hundreds of times so there's that lol.

I would still buy a new lift/transfer pump, they're relatively cheap. I would recommend the kind that has two little vertical towers verses the dome/bell type, they have proven to be much more dependable and longer lasting in my experience. Also, I would recommend blue loctite for the bolts that mount it to the block.

Andy B
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by Andy B » Mon Jan 17, 2022 6:06 am

Cordless,

I did what you said. Bought a new pump with the priming lever from Deere (the two vertical towers style), checked the gasket in the upper groove on the filter housing (a big thank you for that one!), and cracked the lines to bleed.

With the working starter and correct transfer pump, all is good.

On a side note, while I was waiting for the new transfer pump, and a sunny day, the system did gravity prime to the first filter, but the second filter was bone dry even after a week. I feel better with the priming lever pump. And that lever shoots out a lot of pressure when you operate it. Much more than I expected.