JD550 1979 6 way blade tilt cylinder removal issue

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
FriesenFarming
MC crawler
MC crawler

JD550 1979 6 way blade tilt cylinder removal issue

Post by FriesenFarming » Tue Mar 22, 2022 1:36 pm

Hey Guys,

I just picked up a JD550 for our farm and knew the tilt cylinder needed to be re sealed as it's leaking.

I went to pop it off yesterday and didn't know the best way to get the pin out. As these pins are in vertically and there is no access to the bottom of them. I removed the bolts going across the top to hold them in place but unsure of how to pull them out now as I can't just hit them out.

This is probably a noobie question but I just want to make sure I do it the right way and not damage things I don't need to.

Here are a few pictures of the machine and the cylinder I'm trying to remove.

I can get some more close up pictures if needed but hoping you know what I'm talking about.

Here's the link to the pictures on google drive.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Wfdv9e ... sp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1RLjuz5 ... sp=sharing

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: JD550 1979 6 way blade tilt cylinder removal issue

Post by Jim B » Tue Mar 22, 2022 4:41 pm

Welcome to the board.

Your first picture shows a leaking right side angle cylinder, the tilt cylinder is the small one mounted cross machine, under the shield, at the top of the blade. You have a 6405 blade, same as the one on my 450E.

In either case the answer on pulling the pins is the same. Unless someone has installed the wrong pins; the ends of the pins are supposed to have a threaded hole in the exposed end, to allow use of a puller or slide hammer for removal. Mine are threaded 1/2-13. If someone has installed pins without the threaded holes, weld a nut on the end to allow pulling. A piece of pipe the pin will pass through, a plate washer with a center hole for a threaded rod and a threaded rod and nut of the appropriate size and thread; will make a puller if you need.

If you don't have them, you will want to get yourself at least the Operator's Manual (OMT70887) and Technical Manual (TM1108). There will be a suffix after the manual part numbers I posted. X1 is the latest revision of the Operator's Manual and GV is the latest printing of the Tech Manual. The Parts Catalog is PC1437 (Y3). Here is a link to the online 550 Parts Catalog on JDParts.com that you can use at no cost.
PC1437
Jim