ˆnjection pump needing rebuild

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
jsal
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

ˆnjection pump needing rebuild

Post by jsal » Wed Jun 15, 2022 3:13 am

got a 310 B jd back hoe three cylinder engine starts runs a bit stalls will immediately starts back up but will start again looking for recommendations for pump repair over 7000 hrs on machine

JIM

Gregg4160
MC crawler
MC crawler

Re: ˆnjection pump needing rebuild

Post by Gregg4160 » Mon Aug 22, 2022 1:32 pm

If you are mechanically inclined you can do it yourself. There is a jd injector pump manual availible on line. Kit is availible from diesel parts and performance in memphis I think about $40. The main thing that goes bad in these Roosa Master pumps is a plastic governor weight retainer ring it gets brittle over time and disintegrates filling the pump full of pieces of plastic. There is only 1 internal adjustment to be made you need a digital caliper or micrometer for this . The weight retainer ring is a little bit of a pain in the A but not too bad. the idle speed and advance are adjusted externally on a test bench I did not disturb these just disassembled cleaned and resealed pump and replaced weight retainer ring. There are many Utube videos on how to do this and a excellent video called "Be the fuel" that explains how the pump works. If you send it somewhere be prepared to pay $600 t to get it overhauled. Its really not as scary as it sounds.

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: ˆnjection pump needing rebuild

Post by Jim B » Mon Aug 22, 2022 2:29 pm

Everyone has their opinion on DIY repairs to injection pumps. Personally, I send them to a shop (and I have had some training on overhauling them). When I have a pump done, I want it calibrated and set up to spec. Without a test bench and the right equipment you can't do that, and I doubt you want to buy that gear. I also have the injectors checked. Often the pencil injectors are cheaper to replace than do any work on, new injectors should be pop checked at least.

You say yours has 7000 hours on it, beyond maybe the failed pellethane ring, do you think it might have other wear that may affect it? Yes, some people do their injection pumps themselves and make out ok, it is up to you if you want to try it. JMHO
Jim