86-87 350D Final Drive Oil drain/fill

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
limabee
MC crawler
MC crawler

86-87 350D Final Drive Oil drain/fill

Post by limabee » Mon Jun 20, 2022 3:56 pm

So a good friend of mine is helping me drain all my fluids from the transmission, reverser and final drives as it’s pretty watered down at this point.

We were looking for info on the final drive oil. Not so much for draining as the plugs are easy to find but low and behold there are no upper fill plugs on the 350D’s that we can find.

Low and behold the final drives are filled as part of the transmission oil fill. We cleaned out the transmission with diesel and once it fills to a certain point it transfers over into both final drives.

Just thought I’d put that out there and hope it helps!

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: 86-87 350D Final Drive Oil drain/fill

Post by Jim B » Tue Jun 21, 2022 5:21 am

Welcome to the Board.

The common sump was the standard for the later machines and a service modification for earlier ones. The info on filling should be in your operator's manual.

Do you have the correct Operator's Manual and Technical manual for your machine? Did you clean/change the filter in the reverser while you had it drained?

Are you using John Deere Hy Gard or a premium UTHF meeting the JDM J20C spec for the refill?

LeonardL
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: 86-87 350D Final Drive Oil drain/fill

Post by LeonardL » Thu Jun 23, 2022 7:14 am

You can also fill the finals through the steering clutch / brake adjustment hole in the top center of each steering clutch housing cover. These are under the seat and look like a small barrel bung plug. I pour about two and a half gallons into each housing and then fill the transmission to the full mark.

In draining the final drives make sure you get the very bottom drain plugs on each final drive. Otherwise you will have old fluid and or water still trapped in the bottom half of each one.
40 plus years working on JD 350s, 400Gs, 450s and other equipment both Ag and Construction.