Power beyond sleeve for backhoe attachment

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
Asharo2015
MC crawler
MC crawler

Power beyond sleeve for backhoe attachment

Post by Asharo2015 » Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:53 am

Hello this is my first post about my first piece of equipment I’ve ever had so I hope you will bear with me. The short version is that I need help plumbing a backhoe attachment for my ‘74 350b. I’ve read through many threads about this, and even called Lavoy to annoy him about it. I bought the attachment from a guy who also had it on his 350b, and I saw it operate before we disconnected it. The plumbing on his was very simple. There was a hyd line that ran from the outermost port of what I understand to be the aux valve going to the supply side of the backhoe valves. Then, there was a return line coming from the backhoe going into a port on the pipe coming out of the reservoir. There were no other fittings, nor was there another pump. I connected the backhoe to my machine in the same way, except that I’m not getting any pressure to the hoe. Obviously, it can’t be the exact same, otherwise it would work. The only thing I can come up with is that I need a power beyond sleeve to block off the return passage in that last port. Unfortunately, I cannot find anyone who has this sleeve or plug, and nine times out of ten the suppliers I have called don’t even know what that is. Maybe I’m missing something bigger than that, but it’s all I can come up with. I would very much appreciate if someone could help me a part number I haven’t seen already. I’ve checked on the ones that are in the plumbing kit on jdparts. Thank you.

JWB Contracting
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Re: Power beyond sleeve for backhoe attachment

Post by JWB Contracting » Tue Jun 28, 2022 10:35 am

From what I’ve seen loader use a power beyond valve installed in the loader valve. It directs high flow oil to the backhoe valve, then returns to the tank.

On dozers, a diverter valve is used as the dozer valve isn’t made for high flow. Dozers have smaller pumps as well.

We didn’t like the diverter valves so would run the high pressure from the pump to a pressure relief, to the hoe, then to the dozer valve. We also ran the higher volume loader pumps on the dozer to get better digging power.

Key is the backhoe valve does not have a relief.

Finding a power beyond fitting will be difficult. Deere doesn’t have them for 450’s and have found an after market source. If you have a loader the power beyond install is the best.
Jason Benesch

John Deere 420, 430, 440 & 350C With 3 Point Hitch
John Deere 400G With Winch
John Deere 2010 Crawler Dozer
John Deere 420, 430, 435 & 440 Wheel Tractors

Asharo2015
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by Asharo2015 » Tue Jun 28, 2022 10:52 am

Yes I forgot to mention that it is a loader

JWB Contracting
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by JWB Contracting » Wed Jun 29, 2022 7:18 am

Best to phone a wrecker and get the power beyond fitting, or buy the one from the guy you got the hoe from.
Jason Benesch

John Deere 420, 430, 440 & 350C With 3 Point Hitch
John Deere 400G With Winch
John Deere 2010 Crawler Dozer
John Deere 420, 430, 435 & 440 Wheel Tractors