450E clutch adjustment

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
Tony
MC crawler
MC crawler

450E clutch adjustment

Post by Tony » Sun Jul 24, 2022 11:15 am

Purchased a gauge to adjust clutch and test transmission. If I recall the service manual says to place both transmission levers in neutral and run engine at low idle then then turn nut clockwise until pressure maxes out then starts to drop, then back off a few rounds. The problem I ran into was the pressure never would change whether screwing the nut all the way in or backing it out all the way. At low idle the pressure is 80 psi. With engine revved up the pressure was 140 psi. I added 3 shims to get the pressure up to 165 psi. After adding shims attempted to adjust clutch again but encountered same problem no pressure change. Low, neutral, and reverse all read 165 psi but high range wont read any pressure. Will go forward a ways on flat ground then stops with zero pressure. Wondering if anyone has an idea why turning nut on clutch adjustment has no effect on pressure? Any information would be appreciated.

LeonardL
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: 450E clutch adjustment

Post by LeonardL » Wed Jul 27, 2022 6:59 pm

Sounds like a blown engagement seal on the forward clutch pack. If your machine stops on flat ground and reads zero for pressure then you have a piston seal leaking. Or some issue inside causing the pressure to fall flat and also causing a no change on your adjustment. I'm thinking your issue is deeper than just adjustment.
40 plus years working on JD 350s, 400Gs, 450s and other equipment both Ag and Construction.

Tony
MC crawler
MC crawler

Re: 450E clutch adjustment

Post by Tony » Tue Aug 09, 2022 5:02 pm

Does this mean the clutch pack has to come out to repair or if it is a seal can it be replaced through top of transmission?