1969 JD450 crawler/loader

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
GGB
MC crawler
MC crawler

1969 JD450 crawler/loader

Post by GGB » Thu Jul 28, 2022 1:10 pm

Good afternoon folks, I have a JD 450 that recently went under hydraulic lines repair and worked very good for about a few hours before it died right in the middle of a pile scoop. I have something wrong with the alternator and charging the battery which I assumed might have something to do with it, but even on a jump start it wasn't doing anything. I can hear a clicking right under the dash, but nothing more. First thought was that the starter went bad since few times when it was hot and I ran the machine longer and shut it off it wouldn't start back again until it cools off a bit. I went and picked a new starter and replaced it. The new one I was told it has only one connection to the solenoid as oppose to the two, like the old one use to have, just to mention that this is the diesel engine, and now it is no even making the clicking noise. I was told that all new starters unless this is a gasoline engine come with only one solenoid connection. I did check the start button and it shows incoming and outgoing power as I press, therefore not the issue. Next one that I wasn't aware of was the safety switch on the left side below my foot, and I tried to get a jumper wire just to bypass it and see if that might be the problem, but again nothing. I would greatly appreciate any input from the group. Any words of wisdom on this 450 debacle.

B Town
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: 1969 JD450 crawler/loader

Post by B Town » Thu Jul 28, 2022 3:12 pm

Could it be a faulty circuit breaker under the dash cluster? Number 27 on the parts diagram.

https://partscatalog.deere.com/jdrc/sid ... gId/241957

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Jim B » Thu Jul 28, 2022 5:02 pm

When you checked the starter button for power in, and out did you check to see if power was getting to the starter solenoid on the small wire when the button was pushed? If you use a jumper wire between the battery cable stud on the solenoid and the start terminal of the solenoid, does the starter engage? Be sure everything is in neutral before trying that. What is the voltage at the batteries and battery cable terminal of the starter at rest and then again when the starter button is pushed.

GGB
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by GGB » Thu Jul 28, 2022 5:59 pm

Thank you B Town I will try this. I didn't think of this as a circuit breaker for the ignition. I was thinking it has to do with the gauges and dashboard instruments.

Jim, I was debating to do this on the old one that I replaced, but I was warned that the loader might take off and I didn't have anyone around to try it. I am not sure if the recall service was ever done as per what I read in the forum that JD had a major recall on those models because of the taking off even when the shifter is locked and on neutral. I will try to measure, are you thinking of a fault somewhere? It did shut off very interesting right in the middle of action without any engine stalling or fluctuation in power.

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Jim B » Thu Jul 28, 2022 6:47 pm

A broken wire and/or a compromised bulkhead can cause a power loss.

GGB
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by GGB » Thu Jul 28, 2022 7:10 pm

What do you mean by compromised bulkhead?

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Jim B » Thu Jul 28, 2022 8:15 pm

In those bulkhead connectors (and any other plug together connectors in the harness) look for loose, dirty, corroded, burnt terminals, partly unplugged, and such. Anything that can affect the ability to properly carry current through the connection(s).

GGB
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by GGB » Fri Jul 29, 2022 8:03 am

Understood. I was just contemplating taking it apart and see if I can get a replacement or match the wiring and rebuild it. That was the second place where I was looking when I bought the machine since the last owner told me that there was something wrong with the key but it turns out that was in that bulkhead and the power to the injection pump was restored and a bypass wire removed.

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Jim B » Fri Jul 29, 2022 11:22 am

I'm not clear on this, it sounds like you found a problem with the bulkhead connector and fixed that. So, it is running again?

GGB
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by GGB » Sat Jul 30, 2022 8:35 pm

Hi Jim, no this was previously, at the beginning when I bought the machine. There was a wire from the injection pump to the battery that I had to use in order to start the machine and the last owner was telling me that if I change the ignition key most likely that would fix the bypass and the wire can be removed. I changed the key, but nothing changed, then I played with the bulkhead and sure enough the injection pump began working without me touching the bypass wire to the battery.

Anyhow, I did confirm that it is the safety switch issue and for now I just put a jumper wire. Monday I'll be visiting JD in Oxford and hopefully they have the part.

I got myself in trouble with the bucket piston now. I hope I have it fixed tomorrow. That was a pain to take apart!

Do you know where exactly is located the engine coolant temp sending unit and the transmission temp sending unit? When I changed the starter I came across a loose green wire that turnout to be the engine oil unit and got excited that maybe the gauges are working and were missing the connections only.

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Jim B » Sun Jul 31, 2022 6:45 am

The engine temperature sender should be in the left rear top corner of the head.

The temperature sender for the transmission is on the lower right side of the transmission, on or near the oil pickup screen cover, if I remember right.

GGB
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by GGB » Mon Aug 01, 2022 6:28 pm

Thank you Jim. I called and ordered the switch now wait until it comes.

I can say now that I have won the battle with the hydraulic cylinder repair! I just built myself a portable press with 3/4" rod and 1 1/4" short nipples with tees and that did push the rod in nice and smooth!

I asked about the grease pins on the bucket and I was very much surprised by the price. $220+ per pin! Is that normal and is there another option.