Engine Swap

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
77 Ford
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Engine Swap

Post by 77 Ford » Tue Aug 16, 2022 7:07 am

My old girl 450c has the non turbo engine. At some point I'm going to have to either rebuild it or replace it ( it carries very low oil pressure and is addicted to starting fluid). I had the injection pump rebuilt a couple years back and it gave it more power but still is lacking I think.

I found a complete turbo engine flywheel to pump including radiator listed for sale. They are asking 3500 which seems a bit high considering it's already pulled and you cannot hear it run or check oil /cylinder pressures. Besides the motor what would I need for the conversion ? What are you thoughts on the price?

I'm still thinking of having my engine rebuilt but I'll have to find a machine shop that can handle the crank and head and they are getting fewer and fewer every year it seems.

I'm open to suggestions of any kind.

Thanks!
JD- 450C track loader
Serial #208336T

LeonardL
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: Engine Swap

Post by LeonardL » Tue Aug 16, 2022 3:21 pm

Not sure exactly what you need as far as the total swap. 3500 isn't a bad price for a known, good turbo engine. Especially if it comes with the radiator flywheel. The problem is, every one you will find will of course be a great engine. It's just a crap shoot on that.

As far as the swap itself, a guy would just have to hope for someone on here that knows to come forward or you could go to the Deere parts website and compare between a turbo machine and your older C model. I know you can make them fit easy enough but I'm not sure about air cleaners and that sort of thing.

As for rebuilding your own engine? Certainly a viable option and you do at least know what you have. As for a good machine shop to do the crank and head? I have used O'Reillys in Springfield, MO a lot. They have always been great at what they do and are reasonable in price. I had a Deere six cylinder crank checked and polished by them about a year ago and they did a fantastic job. It was less than 100 bucks as well. You can take your items to any O'Reillys or one of their affiliate stores and they will handle getting it to the machine shop and back again. If memory serves aren't you down that way anyway?

Anyway that's my two cents worth and I wish you great luck on this.
40 plus years working on JD 350s, 400Gs, 450s and other equipment both Ag and Construction.

77 Ford
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by 77 Ford » Wed Aug 17, 2022 6:56 am

Ya, I'm about 45 minutes from Springfield so that's an option. If I could of heard the motor run , see the oil pressure I'd be interested at 3500 I think it just the unknown of it all. Weird thing is he has a complete backhoe attachment and only wants 2,000 for that which I think is a bargain.

I wish those prices were reversed and I would probably take the gamble.
JD- 450C track loader
Serial #208336T

LeonardL
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by LeonardL » Wed Aug 17, 2022 6:46 pm

I get what you're saying about the unknown on the motor. And if you're going to have to go inside it to be sure then you may as well rebuild your motor. Two grand does seem like a good price on the back hoe. That will go pretty quick at that price. Is the guy willing to take an offer on the motor? Just curious.
40 plus years working on JD 350s, 400Gs, 450s and other equipment both Ag and Construction.