350 reverser

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
Clark
40C crawler
40C crawler

350 reverser

Post by Clark » Thu Aug 18, 2022 6:22 pm

I have a 350 B. The reverser did work well till it started to slip in reverse. I did have the reverser out and apart. Replaced clutches and bearings. Been using it a couple months. Now it slips in reverse but not all the time. Checked cluth pressure was at 80 lb.. checked pressure control valve . Spring and piston good but no shims. Added shims till pressure is at 140lb cold and 130 at operating temp. Works good but sometimes slips in reverse. If i use the clutch peddle while shifting to reverse it never slips. I have a service manuel but it is vague at best. Any ideas? The accumilator can be removed . When removed what do i look for? Also need gaskets for it. Anyone have updated part numbers for them?Thanks in advance
Clark.

LeonardL
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: 350 reverser

Post by LeonardL » Fri Aug 19, 2022 7:12 pm

Check the adjustment for the "Rate of Shift" screw. Back it out a couple of turns and see if that clears your slippage.
40 plus years working on JD 350s, 400Gs, 450s and other equipment both Ag and Construction.

Clark
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by Clark » Tue Aug 23, 2022 8:14 pm

I did back the rate of shift screw out 3 maybe 4 turns. Forward works really good. But reverse still slips but not all the time.. if is use the peddle while reversing it never slips. .

LeonardL
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by LeonardL » Wed Aug 24, 2022 7:21 pm

You might check the shift mechanism to make sure you are engaging reverse fully when you change directions. It may just not be engaging all the way. Look for a bent shift rod or worn pin and clevis. The shift lever at the reverser may also be loose and not allowing reverse to engage fully.

If that isn't the problem then the next thing would be to take the Accumulator cover off to see if the lever or pin is worn. Or if the set screw is loose. The levers can work loose or wear a grove and cause them to not fully engage without using the foot pedal to help things along. There have been a couple of guys on here in the past that have had this issue with the levers being worn.

If you have never taken one of these covers off then bear in mind they are spring loaded. I always loosen all of the bolts and then take all of the lower bolts out first and then back the two upper ones out equally until the spring has lost its tension against the cover. Other guys will leave a bolt at the bottom and one at the top. It's just however you prefer to do it.

Sometimes the gasket will stick tight enough to hold the cover and you will need a thin blade screw driver or some tool to get the cover loose. Just don't take all the bolts out and do this. You can loosen them but don't remove all of them. When I was young and green I launched one of these covers and it ricocheted around for what seemed like forever!! :D I'm just saying be careful. I remove the side step and whatever else I can to help give a person more room. Patience is also required to do this as it is a tight space and nothing seems to be where you can get to them.
40 plus years working on JD 350s, 400Gs, 450s and other equipment both Ag and Construction.

Clark
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by Clark » Sun Aug 28, 2022 5:42 pm

Thanks for the tips. In the process of finding gaskets and O rings. Its working ok as long as i push the clutch pedal before reversing . Dont want to takes the accumulator off till i have parts in hand. Also looking for some kind of real cooler for the reverser to install infront of the radiator.

Clark
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by Clark » Fri Oct 07, 2022 9:30 am

I have the reverser working well again "so far". I installed a 12"×12" 34 row oil cooler with fan in front of the radiator. I plumped it in series with the original cooler. Had to do it that way because the pressure side flows through the cooler and charges the power steering pump. Going to need a cutting edge for 6 way blade pretty soon. Any info on locating one would be greatly appreciated.