JD350 Reverser Woes? Any Options? Or Part-Dozer-Out?

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
Quest4Life
MC crawler
MC crawler

JD350 Reverser Woes? Any Options? Or Part-Dozer-Out?

Post by Quest4Life » Sun Aug 21, 2022 3:30 pm

So I have a JD350 (don t have serial on me, but about a 68 ), with a bad hydraulic reverser, and a GOOD EVERYTHING ELSE! Including winch, 6 way blade, engine, all works GREAT, etc. Was thrilled with it for a few years and we decided we d make it like new when we started tearing down to get to the reverser. Ordered all new steering clutch/brake parts, new tensioner for the one side, tracks, motor, undercarriage all in really good shape, and found/ordered most of the parts for the hydraulic reverser (have a hardcore machine shop guy/mechanic we took it to once we got it out) ..but some of the parts we cannot get/he cannot make and now I don t know what to do with it. Is there anyone out there/here that can fix one? Any rebuilt ones I can get? or do I just need to sell of the dozer in parts/pieces/etc .(REALLY WOULD LIKE IT FIXED). I got it for a great deal when I bought it, but have a feeling the guy knew about the reverser because it was temperamental at first, but we thought it was the steering clutches getting wet that was causing it to not move sometimes and be fine other times .until we drained the reverser s hydraulic fluid and found way to many parts of bearings/metal/etc ..

6 Way blade works great
Motor runs great
already bought several Thousand dollars in new parts to make like new as we rebuilt it .. and Now I m dead in the water and my best friends workshop is half filled up with the dozer in pieces and the new parts and we can t find anything online to either get a rebuilt one/used one/etc .

I m I just dead in the water? Do I just sell it off, or can someone out here help me find a way to get a reverser rebuild oneetc? We ve been looking for more than a year and I just don t know enough about these things and can t find anything online, and Paul hasn t had any luck either.

Let me know what you all think and if I should sell it do I try and sell the major components individually? Winch/6 Way/ROPS/Engine/or should I put back together (seems nuts since you gotta tear it all down again just to get back to reverser) and sell assembled with the new parts, but no working reverser? etc.

It s time to figure it out and either MAKE IT GO or GET IT GONE I guess Sad

Thank you in advance for any help/recommendations you can provide.

Kind regards,
Phil

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: JD350 Reverser Woes? Any Options? Or Part-Dozer-Out?

Post by Jim B » Sun Aug 21, 2022 5:10 pm

I will suggest you check with Lavoy to start with. Besides supplying this site for our use, he repairs and sells parts for the older JD crawlers. He may not have the parts you need but he may have some sound leads for you to check. Call him at 701-361-1006, during CST business hours or send him an email (postmater@jdcrawlers.com). Others will likely be along with suggestions. It might help if you add your general location to your profile, it may get you some suggestions to check nearer to you, than everyone just shotgunning the names of places.

Quest4Life
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by Quest4Life » Mon Aug 22, 2022 5:05 am

Appreciate the suggestion, I will definitely reach out to him.

I'm in Belpre, OH (and you say ... Where the H#$# is that? :) ..SouthEast Ohio, along river, across from Parkersburg, WV!

I'll update my profile. Someone in another forum actually suggested I come ask here, so I registered fast without paying much attention to boxes :)

Quest4Life
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by Quest4Life » Wed Sep 07, 2022 10:39 am

Profile Updated :) …. Any other thoughts or anyone with a Reverser to sell :)

Clark
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by Clark » Wed Sep 07, 2022 8:50 pm

If were me i would fix the reverser you have
All the bearings inside are standard a few are expensive. Clutch kits can be gotten but not cheap. Gaskets are available and seals are too.

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Thu Sep 08, 2022 4:18 pm

I have clutch packs available.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

Quest4Life
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by Quest4Life » Sat Oct 08, 2022 12:45 pm

I have all the clutch parts and such already the ONLY THING i haven’t been able to get fixed/all parts for is the reverser. I have a lot of those too …I just desperately need to find someone who can do it/knows more than me to get / fix it.

Any advice or recommendations …I’ll literally get it anywhere in the country it needs to go …I really need it back up and running and outta my buddies garage too, he’s getting annoyed :O

dtoots1
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by dtoots1 » Sun Oct 09, 2022 2:10 pm

Dear Questfoelife,
The clutch pack Lavoy is referring to...is the clutch pack for the reverser!...it does have clutches also...Akron Bearing can probably match whatever bearings/seals you have in it...check numbers in your book as many times they can cross reference them

DavidG
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by DavidG » Sat Oct 22, 2022 1:32 pm

I had the reverser from my Dad’s 350c rebuilt last year. I found a guy who was an old tractor mechanic and he had rebuilt a few small Deere dozers. Took a long time to get it done but he finished it up and I picked it up in late spring this year. I bought reverser clutches and a reverser shaft from Lavoy. He sourced all the other bearings and seals (mostly from Deere). It was very costly as I had him do all the work but with the reverser fixed and new hoses, I’ve got a very strong relatively low hour crawler.

My suggestion is to look for an old retired heavy machinery mechanic who still does side jobs. Ask around at hydraulic shops, injector pumps shops and even the Deere parts guy and maybe you’ll find someone that can do it for you. Do you have the reverser out of the crawler? That will reduce your costs a bunch.
JD350C that, as my Dad says, runs, but doesnt move