450C steering brake adjustment

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
Gregg4160
MC crawler
MC crawler

450C steering brake adjustment

Post by Gregg4160 » Sun Aug 21, 2022 9:39 pm

I have a question about 450C steering brake adjustment. Both steering brakes do work the rt one takes a good bit more force than the left. I have attempted to adjust the brakes per the tech manual, set the adjust nut for 5 in. travel then ran in the adjustment bolt in 2 turns to prevent self adjusting. I put a paint stripe on the adjusting nut to identify movement easier. Did like the book said and drove the tractor forward while Appling the brake, nut didn't move so per book began backing adjustment bolt out in 1/4 turn increments repeated driving fwd. , applying brake and repeating. repeated this procedure approx. 20 times and never saw the adjuster (pick up the next notch on adjuster) like the book said (backed bolt out so far it almost fell out . During this I never noted the adjuster nut move. I also tried this procedure on the other side with the same results. I did not proceed with the rest of the procedure because I couldn't get past this step. I just put it back to the original position and it is useable. I actually own 2 of these tractors and the other one steers much easier ( can almost steer with my little fingers. Am I doing something wrong or does anybody have any ideas about this? Steering clutches seem OK they don't slip spins both tracks in 2H and when you pull back both levers together approx. 2.5 in tractor stops moving. Any help would be appreciated.

missesess
MC crawler
MC crawler

Re: 450C steering brake adjustment

Post by missesess » Mon Nov 14, 2022 11:43 pm

Hi Gregg,
Did you ever manage to solve the brake band adjustment?
I'm having similar issues trying to understand what the manual says to do. It appears to be poorly written and difficult to understand what the author means. I'm currently bamboozled by the section that immediately follows your query section (4) (altho I haven't yet attempted the 1/4 turn adjustments to set the next 'notch pickup' etc.)
Do you know what point '5' and '6' is all about? ..... "back off the adjusting nut so the levers can be pulled back to the 'stop' with little effort .... re-adjust lever travel so lever top moves 12" before the 'stop' is contacted " ..... "then readjust the nut so the brake picks up at 5" lever travel" ????
Could this whole procedure have been written by the intern ????
My brain hurts!

Gregg4160
MC crawler
MC crawler

Re: 450C steering brake adjustment

Post by Gregg4160 » Thu Dec 15, 2022 9:08 am

Sorry I didn't see your post I haven't checked in in a while. Still working the problem. Talked to a old retired john deere mechanic who is supposed to come look at it to no avail. Pursuing some other avenues also. As best I can figure the adjusting nut and " pick up the notch" part adjusts the self adjuster (which I have read doesn't work very well) and I don't understand either. The other part I just tried backing the nut off until I had full travel to the stop and then re-adjusted till I had 12in. travel on the lever. As I said this got the tractor useable but it still doesn't drive as good as my other one. The mechanic I talked to said that if you ran out of adjustment it meant the brake band was worn out, but he didn't think that was the problem. I have another guy I'm not real fond of but seems to know his sh** I may contact after Christmas , he repaired my other tractor long ago. My phone no. is 770-851-2569 feel free to call me and maybe we can put our heads together an figure this out. If I don't recognize your no I may think its spam and not answer but leave a voicemail and Ill call you back.