Inherited an Early Straight 350

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
HemiDusted
MC crawler
MC crawler

Inherited an Early Straight 350

Post by HemiDusted » Sat Sep 03, 2022 3:33 pm

I inherited my grandfather’s JD 350 Crawler/Loader, early model with Reverser (and his Triaxle Lowboy and Mustang Skidsteer).

The 350 last ran 17 years ago and has been parked in the forest (with exhaust covered), when my grandfather bought the Skidsteer. The 350 was hard turning, so 8 months ago I dosed the cylinders with a mix of ATF, Kerosene and Marvel Mystery Oil and let it soak for over half a year. Last week I “borrowed” the batteries out of my Dodge Diesel, rolled out an extension cord, fired up my Tow-Behind Lincoln Weldernator and plugged in two battery chargers.

It spins over perfect, though I am getting a pop through the intake (narrowed it down to the center intake valve not sealing) if I pull the valve cover and tap the valves a few times with a brass/copper hammer, it seals and I can get the crawler to fire up and run.

Each time it runs a little longer, but I also have to smack the valves each time I want to start it. Any tips on getting this thing to seal long enough to get it out of the forest and up to my garage (1/8 mile), where I can pull the motor and do a full rebuild
65 JD 350 Crawler/Loader
Mustang 320 Skidsteer

Al Swearengen
440 crawler
440 crawler

Re: Inherited an Early Straight 350

Post by Al Swearengen » Sun Sep 04, 2022 8:42 am

Was given an old Ford water truck with a V-8 planted in it. First time to hit start it bent half the pushrods! Worked the valves with the brass hammer and lot's of penetrating oil, finally got them moving.
'99 450G 6-Way

HemiDusted
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by HemiDusted » Sun Sep 04, 2022 10:52 am

Half tempted to just order a head gasket, yank the head in field, strap it the cargo rack on my Suzuki 230 and run back to the shop for a cleanup and valve lap, run back and install the head.

The valves aren’t stuck, they’re just not sealing against the seats very well.
65 JD 350 Crawler/Loader
Mustang 320 Skidsteer

77 Ford
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by 77 Ford » Wed Sep 07, 2022 7:17 am

Might be springs, the springs that were fully compressed for 17 years are probably pretty lame. Once it's running at all, I think the stuck would be about gone, you may have to do as you suggest and pull the head in the field. It won't take long at all on a standard 350.
JD- 450C track loader
Serial #208336T