Power Assist Booster Cylinders

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
dwhaeberle
MC crawler
MC crawler

Power Assist Booster Cylinders

Post by dwhaeberle » Sun Sep 04, 2022 11:47 am

Hello all. I've been a member for awhile now, well since acquiring a 1968 450 Straight Loader last September 2021.
I have found this forum very useful in helping me gain knowledge about this machines maintenance and repair.
Although I have searched the forums and the web I have not found much technical information about the Power Assist Steering Boosters. I have all the manuals, but the only information I can find is about checking the reservoir, paragraph 33. in the Operators manual, actually I didn't know what that thing was under the hood until I found it in the operators manual.
Anyway, the issue I have is that the left cylinder under the seat is loose and cocks when pulling on the left steering lever. It looks like there are pins on either side holding it in place that are either broke or loose allowing the cylinder to move but I can't see how they are attached or held in place. Are they broken, worn, or have broken or missing hardware?
Thanks for any help or information.
Don H.

Charleston SC or Strattanville PA, depending on the time of the year
1968 450 Straight Loader
T5E3M 076282T

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: Power Assist Booster Cylinders

Post by Jim B » Sun Sep 04, 2022 3:33 pm

Welcome.

Hard to give you a correct answer on the booster cylinder as we can't see it. Below is a link to the online parts catalog page. The cylinders appear to be trunnion type mounting. The pins (item key # 11) go through the side of the bracket and into the pivot holes in the sides of the cylinder body. from the drawing you will see the pins are held in place by "E" clips (item key # 12) snapped on to the pin shank between the cylinder and bracket to hold the pin in place. From your description it sounds like a pin may be missing or holes are badly worn.

https://partscatalog.deere.com/jdrc/sid ... gId/200191

dwhaeberle
MC crawler
MC crawler

Re: Power Assist Booster Cylinders

Post by dwhaeberle » Sun Sep 04, 2022 4:34 pm

Thank you, that's what I needed to know/see. The inner pin on the left cylinder is cocking opposite of the cylinder movement. Your assessment my be correct about the holes being worn, it looks like there is also a bushing that may be missing or worn.
Don H.

Charleston SC or Strattanville PA, depending on the time of the year
1968 450 Straight Loader
T5E3M 076282T