JD 555 Crawler Loader

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: JD 555 Crawler Loader

Post by Jim B » Fri Sep 09, 2022 12:01 pm

Check your chain links closely you might be lucky and have a split type of master link. It will look less open on the side rails and if clean you should see interlocking teeth between the pins. Removing the track pad bolts allows the teeth to be disengaged and separate. If you jack the track the crawler up so the track is clear of the ground, you can likely pull it around with a com-a-long. If it is not a split link you may want to see about a dealer or shop that deals with crawlers pressing it out for you.

It will look similar to the one shown at this link.

https://www.peersparts.com/bespoke-trac ... 5_p67.html

Monsterred
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by Monsterred » Sat Sep 10, 2022 9:03 am

Yes Yes Yes I do have a split link. Where is the best place to position it to take apart? In front of the drive sprocket? To bad I am not working on the other side, that is where it is at. That will save a lot work and frustration.

dtoots1
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by dtoots1 » Tue Sep 13, 2022 8:12 pm

In regards to turning the tracks.....do you have the machine up on blocks to where the tracks are clear or can you do so??
Tracks do turn very easily...use a come along to do so...just make sure is in neutral....my 440 i was able to pull one of track shoes located on rear sprocket at about 1 or 2 o'clock position where you cab swing a large hammer/sledge to drive pin out...once you have located it..

Monsterred
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by Monsterred » Wed Sep 14, 2022 9:15 am

Yes I did get it turned. I did put a come along on, and put two bolts back in the sprocket hub and put a pipe between them and turned it. You can not turn it without the come along helping. I got it apart and have the steering clutch out and waiting for parts. I reckon I will get back together sometime.