JD 555 Crawler Loader

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
Monsterred
40C crawler
40C crawler

JD 555 Crawler Loader

Post by Monsterred » Mon Sep 05, 2022 6:28 pm

I have problem with my 555. It won't drive on the right side. I think it drives some til the pull gets harder. If I hit the left brake it stops going forward. Sometimes it will drive on the right if there is a low pull. I plan on working on it myself, but I don't where to start. Does anyone know what the problem is?

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: JD 555 Crawler Loader

Post by Jim B » Tue Sep 06, 2022 5:21 am

Welcome to the board.

If the left side seems to drive correctly, it indicates a problem with the right-side drive to me. First place I would check is pressure to the right steering clutch. Loss of pressure disengages the clutch so a hose leaking, or seal failed could give the symptoms you have. Do you have TM1111 which is the one for a 555? It should have info on how to check and test for this. OMT70878 is the Operator's Manual, if you don't have it. You can download a free copy of it at https://www.johndeeretechinfo.com/ . It will take some trial and error to find it as they seem to have made some changes to the site, so it is not as easy to use (There is a phone number you can call to talk to a person. I suggest you have your serial number available if you call.). The TM and parts catalog are also available to purchase at that site. The parts catalog, PC1464, is available to look at online (here is a link to it: https://partscatalog.deere.com/jdrc/nav ... ment/78029 )

Monsterred
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by Monsterred » Tue Sep 06, 2022 7:09 am

Thank You for responding to my problem. Where are these hoses they mention. I have a tech manual but I can't find a thing about them. I see them in the parts catalog, but don't know where they are.

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Jim B » Tue Sep 06, 2022 7:37 am

Some hoses may be external between the steering valve and steering clutch housing; they should show in some pictures around the steering valve. A leak in those should be visible in the area under the seat to the steering clutch housing. There is a hose inside each steering clutch housing that carries oil from the external hose to the steering clutch piston for that side. You have to open the steering clutch housing to see it. The steering clutches release/disengage when the steering valve dumps oil pressure from the clutch. A hose or clutch piston seal leak can have the same affect. If there is no external leak showing, a bad steering valve, an internal hose leak, or a steering clutch piston seal leak are likely possibilities.

You will find many things the TMs don't go into a lot of detail on. Things like hoses may just show up on schematics, they will seldom say look here for this hose. It is common that one has to locate a component like the valve and chase out the hoses out to the other end, to see where they are physically routed on the machine. You have to remember equipment manuals are written for dealer mechanics who may have training in machine systems and experience with similar machines or systems, the manuals are not written to the level of detail expected for the DIY market.

Monsterred
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by Monsterred » Tue Sep 06, 2022 8:31 am

Yes for a TM I think it is very poor. I don't see any external leakage. I'm thinking it is a hose or a seal. I suppose you have to pull the fuel and hydraulic tank to get to them. Is that correct? I took the middle cover off and found it got me to the ring and pinion, which did not help. This was before I joined the this site.

Monsterred
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by Monsterred » Tue Sep 06, 2022 8:31 am

Yes for a TM I think it is very poor. I don't see any external leakage. I'm thinking it is a hose or a seal. I suppose you have to pull the fuel and hydraulic tank to get to them. Is that correct? I took the middle cover off and found it got me to the ring and pinion, which did not help. This was before I joined the this site.

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Jim B » Tue Sep 06, 2022 8:53 am

TM1111 should have a section on separation which will tell you what they recommend for removal to get to the steering clutch.

Monsterred
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by Monsterred » Tue Sep 06, 2022 9:02 am

I am not too sure of that. I have a JD combine repair manual and it tells you step by step how to dismantle and put back together. I will look, I do not have the manual here with me now, but by looking at it that's the way it looks.

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Jim B » Tue Sep 06, 2022 1:44 pm

I don't have a 555 or the TM to look at but many models did require removing at least the hydraulic reservoir and possibly the fuel tank to access the right steering clutch.

Monsterred
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by Monsterred » Wed Sep 07, 2022 5:09 am

The manual does have a diagram of the steering clutch, but does not tell how to get to it. I have started to remove the hydraulic tank. Not an easy job. You have all the hydraulic lines to break. I'm going to keep pecking away at it.

Monsterred
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by Monsterred » Thu Sep 08, 2022 6:28 am

Well I have the cover off the steering clutch. Is it suppose to be 3/4 full of fluid? If it is how do You know if there is a leak in there? I am at a stand still now.

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Jim B » Thu Sep 08, 2022 9:09 am

Your 555 has wet steering clutches, the compartment should be 3/4 full. You need to check for a leak in the hose that is inside there. If the hose doesn't leak your manual should have info on pressure testing to see if it is a seal leaking in the steering clutch.

Monsterred
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by Monsterred » Fri Sep 09, 2022 6:17 am

I sucked the oil out of the clutch housing, hooked my air hose to the oil line and air is coming out of the clutch housing. I reckon that means the seal is bad. Is that correct? If so is there an easy way to split the track? Is there a master link or can I split it anywhere? That could be a problem if there is. I can't turn the tracks now that I have everything taken apart. By the way thank you so much for the help. I have worked on a lot of different equipment but never a dozer to this level.

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Jim B » Fri Sep 09, 2022 9:27 am

I don't have a 555 manual (TM1111) to look at but check your manual carefully. I think the steering clutch can be pulled and resealed without breaking the track and removing the final drive, I know they can on some models.

Monsterred
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by Monsterred » Fri Sep 09, 2022 10:47 am

According to the manual it says you have to break the track and remove drive sprocket. Sad to say. I do not have 50 ton porta power that they speak of in the manual. I saw a comment on y-tube of taking the torch and split the link beside the pin, then weld it back when you put it back. Is there only one pin you can drive out. The manual says find the master, but it does not tell how to identify which one it is. I saw on y-tube they said it is the one with the dimple in the middle of the pin. but like I said before I cannot turn the track. Have any suggestions?