400g steering clutch bang/slam

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
Kyle
MC crawler
MC crawler

400g steering clutch bang/slam

Post by Kyle » Sat Oct 08, 2022 12:38 am

Tight turn right steering clutch it disengages violently causing a bang or slam do hard you feel it in your ass and feet. And hands on controls. It is going to break something.

Newer to equipment. I paid a decent price and it's been one thing after another.

Any direction on what to look at first would be greatly appreciated as this machine with the pressures in transmission is all new. My other machine is a 1959.... Noooo hlr or torque converters in her haha simple heavy, slow.

Also, is hygard worth it? I have yet to find definitive answer.

Thank you for your time and knowledge in this matter. Much appreciated.

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: 400g steering clutch bang/slam

Post by Jim B » Sun Oct 09, 2022 12:27 pm

Do you have the Operator's and Technical manuals for it? It sounds like checking/doing the steering and brake adjustments by the book would be the place to start.

Kyle
MC crawler
MC crawler

Re: 400g steering clutch bang/slam

Post by Kyle » Mon Oct 10, 2022 4:49 am

I recently got them. My 75 year old neighbor, who worked for cat, and then on big equipment inthe open pit coal mines in western pa came up and made some completetly different observations and it's up on blocks with grill, hood, radiator, hydro pump off, to replace fan belt.

He is familiar with the pressures theory and what not with steering clutch. When I get the front back together I will adjust properly. Then if problem occurs I will report back.

Thank you for most direct solution.