Dry steering clutch idea

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
Ewcmr2
MC crawler
MC crawler

Dry steering clutch idea

Post by Ewcmr2 » Mon Oct 31, 2022 8:13 am

I just bought an orange HST tractor, it has hydro transmission but also a traditional dry clutch. It has a lever to lock clutch pedal down so clutch disc doesn’t stick after long term storage.
Could our 350/450 A-B dozers with dry steering clutches benefit from a 2x6 jammed in to hold steering levers back while not in frequent use? Is there something I’m missing that having levers back for months would cause problems?

B Town
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: Dry steering clutch idea

Post by B Town » Mon Oct 31, 2022 3:39 pm

Holding the levers back on a dry clutch while covered is a good idea. The levers could be blocked back or tied back.
Best regards, Bruce

njoldiron
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by njoldiron » Mon Oct 31, 2022 5:45 pm

I Had asked this question a while back and if I remember correct someone had replied that this was not a good idea because it puts pressure on the clutches and weakens them. You could probably search the site and find more info on this question

Al Swearengen
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by Al Swearengen » Tue Nov 01, 2022 7:03 am

njoldiron wrote:
Mon Oct 31, 2022 5:45 pm
I Had asked this question a while back and if I remember correct someone had replied that this was not a good idea because it puts pressure on the clutches and weakens them. You could probably search the site and find more info on this question
I would think just working them from time to time would suffice.
'99 450G 6-Way

Hurlbutt
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by Hurlbutt » Tue Nov 01, 2022 10:54 am

njoldiron wrote: ↑
Mon Oct 31, 2022 6:45 pm

I don't understand how that could be. All the dry clutch and multi disk wet clutch systems I have experienced apply pressure on the clutch disk(s) only when the throw-out bearing (or equivalent) is disengaged, as in the clutch peddle at rest position if adjusted properly.The springs in the pressure plate apply force pinching the disk between the pressure plate and flywheel or what ever the adjoining surface is called. What has increased loading when the clutch peddle is locked down for storage purposes are the pressure plate springs. Unless they are plasticly deformed, there is no damage to them with long duration deflection. I have never seen a clutch mechanism that could be so maladjusted to flex the spring members of the pressure plate to permanently deform them.
Bill

njoldiron
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by njoldiron » Tue Nov 01, 2022 5:48 pm

Found the old post I was thinking of. The person who answered me stated " he used to tie back the levers but then it seemed a spring gave way on the one side so he stopped doing it" Not sure what he meant by a spring giving way but he felt it did some damage to his machine. Just passing on the info that was answered to me

Ewcmr2
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by Ewcmr2 » Tue Nov 08, 2022 8:36 pm

Thanks all for replies, I’ll probably tie back levers if dozer is going to sit.