John Deere 555A - Low Engine/Transmission Pressure - 200 Hours on Engine

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
Airman89
40C crawler
40C crawler

John Deere 555A - Low Engine/Transmission Pressure - 200 Hours on Engine

Post by Airman89 » Tue Nov 01, 2022 1:34 pm

Bought a JD 555A recently and I had a few questions. Currently I’m trying to free up the tracks but sprung a fuel leak, there’s low transmission and engine pressures if the gauges are accurate. Engine won’t get out of the red. It does for a second at start up half throttle then creeps down to red at 1500rpms. Transmission stay at or just under 50psi which is green but I think it’s supposed to be at 150 psi to efficiently work the steering clutches? Maybe because I’m not at full throttle? I just changed engine oil, transmission/steering clutch oil, and final drive oil and filters/cleaned sump screen. It tries to take off in forward 1st even at only 1500 rpms, but reverse barely does anything, feels weaker.

With low oil pressure on a fresh (200 hour ago) rebuild, would the likeliest culprit be the oil pump? I found one on Amazon/eBay for under $90. Deere wants $500+.

Also looking for any tips/advice on freeing up the frozen tracks. They are very frozen, they ride up as I go forward until they hit and scrape the body. Then I get out and hit it with the back side of an axe and it all goes back down.

All tips and advice appreciated. Thank you.

B Town
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: John Deere 555A - Low Engine/Transmission Pressure - 200 Hours on Engine

Post by B Town » Tue Nov 01, 2022 3:42 pm

Low oil pressure could be the oil pump. If the is enough wear on the oil pump to cause this low oil pressure, there has to be significant wear on the rod and main bearings. And the cam bearings.

Let the track soak in hard water for a per of time. Then use them to keep them loose.

Best regards,
Bruce

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Jim B » Tue Nov 01, 2022 4:00 pm

Do you have the technical manual (TM1292) for it? I would suggest getting some good mechanical gauges of the proper ranges and checking to see if the gauges on the 555A are accurate. I believe the manual will give you recommended gauge ranges for testing and the procedures for testing the engine and transmission. It will have info on making adjustments if appropriate. What did you use for oil in the transmission and steering clutches? What engine oil?

Do you have info on exactly what was done during the engine rebuild? There can be a big range of what some call rebuilds. I would rule out a bad gauge before looking at the oil pump.

Bruce has a good answer for freeing the tracks.

Airman89
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by Airman89 » Tue Nov 01, 2022 7:28 pm

Thank you both for the replies. Yea I have the TM1292. I will look through it for the pressure testing procedure and see if the gauge is accurate.

For the engine oil and final drives I used 15w-40 Rotella T4 and for the transmission/steering clutches I used Traveller Premium Trans/Hydraulic from TSC.

I don’t have much information on the rebuild, I will contact the guy and see if he responds. I will try ruling out faulty gauges first and go from there.

dtoots1
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by dtoots1 » Wed Nov 02, 2022 4:06 pm

Been posted on forum...literally drive thru standing water for a bit....water actually breaks loose rusty fittings and movement helps..

do not oil, just accumulates dirt etc