rear bearings for JD555C

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
BullCreek
MC crawler
MC crawler

rear bearings for JD555C

Post by BullCreek » Tue Jan 30, 2007 4:17 pm

I have a JD 555-C crawler/loader that runs good, except recently, the bearings on the rear drive went out (the track on that side is loose and the sprocket wobbles now so I assume that is what happened).

I called the local JD house to see what it might cost to fix, and they called back in a few days, and said they couldn't even get parts for that machine anymore (it's old but not that old was my thought).

I'm reasonably mechanical and have a nice shop I could work on it in - but how hard would this be to fix, assuming some one of you fine folks can point me at a supplier of bearings, etc??? I assume I'd have to take the track on that side off, and then carefully disassemble the rear drive, then reassemble with new bearings, seals, etc.

Any pointers? Would it be useful to purchase on of the parts manuals for this machine on eBay before proceeding assuming I can find parts?

Thanks in advance, --B

wwattson
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by wwattson » Tue Jan 30, 2007 4:38 pm

I just hit the jdparts.com site and it sure looks like all those parts are available. If you've got the service manual, post the part numbers you're looking for and I'm sure Lavoy or one of the other folks can give you a hand.

By the way, welcome to the messageboard.
Bill Wattson

jboettcher
40C crawler
40C crawler

FINALS

Post by jboettcher » Wed Jan 31, 2007 8:32 am

BULL
No problem. I just went through this myself. Not only are parts available from Deere (Erb Equipment) but other on line sites as well. Yes to the manual. Thats a must. Get your dozer in the shed (clean it up with a pressure washer first) and get it on jacks. I use a coupler of 20 toner's but 10 tons will do it. Have some good timbers to make it safe. Rotate you track to the rear and find the dimpled master pin. etc. etc etc. Give me a e-mail or post here when your ready and I can walk you through it.
Critical item! (Been there done that), there is a set scew which holds the streeing clutch to a splin which must be removed correctly and re-installed correctly. Let me know.

Myassitis from Missouri

JBoettcher@sccmo.org

digitup
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by digitup » Wed Jan 31, 2007 5:32 pm

Don,t panic those guys don't know s#$t about older units and don't give a s#$t if you get parts for them .They prove this daily to me as parts for the old 450E are just impossible to get and they wont even try the computer . At my JD industrial dealer .When I walk in the young guys just disappear into the woodwork and I go to the head parts guy to get answers .They couldn't even get me parts books for the 450J and both 550Js till I held back payment on the 450 J .And I was told not to tell other purchasers that I had a parts book the theory is that you have to go to them for your parts this way and Deere is letting there dealers sell only new parts if they chose!.They don't even want to look up your parts for that old machine .And we should realize that we can source parts from others .Or find some one in that organization that cares to find your parts I don't know how to put this any nicer but .Have patience and don't give up I hate being lied to also. Digitup.