450 steering clutches stuck

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
Red66
MC crawler
MC crawler

450 steering clutches stuck

Post by Red66 » Tue Dec 06, 2022 1:20 pm

I just purchased a nice solid 1972? 450 dozer. It had been sitting parked for over a year in a shed. Elderly owner would start it periodically and let it run for a bit to keep battery charged but due to health issues he didn’t move it. When we got ready to move it from the shed we found the main drive clutch would not release and you couldn’t put it in gear. After starting it in gear and getting it outside we were able to pop the drive clutch open and it went to working perfectly. Then we found that the steering clutches were stuck also. We weren’t able to ever get them to release. Didn’t want to damage any of his trees by pushing on them to try to pop them loose. I got paperwork from owner that shows he had new clutches put in not many years ago and hasn’t used dozer much since. I’ve since learned that this is a common problem with these dry clutch machines. I’m only experienced with the later model wet clutch machines. What’s the best way to pop them loose. Dozer is still on trailer and due to heavy rains I haven’t been able to mess with it last couple days since I bought it. Any advice from anyone would be much appreciated.

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: 450 steering clutches stuck

Post by Jim B » Tue Dec 06, 2022 4:23 pm

Welcome to the Board.

If it is a 1972 it would be a 450B as the last build year of the straight 450 was 1970. If it still has the serial number tag on it you can see where your number falls using the 450 model number lists on the FAQ Board.

Holding the steering clutch levers back to release/disengage the steering clutches and bumping into something is the most common method. If it doesn't work, plan on a tear down. Some, on other sites, will suggest dumping diesel into the steering clutch housings or spraying them with penetration oil. That is bad info for dry clutches which is what a 450 or early 450B should have. Brake cleaner would be the only thing I would spray in there. Oil on the clutches will lead to a teardown. JMHO
Jim

Red66
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by Red66 » Tue Dec 06, 2022 4:38 pm

Ok. Thanks for the info. It’s a straight 450 so it must be a little older than I had thought. We weren’t able to push on anything to load it up. I’m hoping that’s all it takes.

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Tue Dec 06, 2022 6:28 pm

I would echo what Jim said as far as any sort of petroleum product to loosen them up, as well as add that rust does not come from petroleum, so it seldom does any good regardless, but is really detrimental on any friction surface.
As far as stuck clutches being a common problem, I have always disagreed on that. It MAY be common to see lots of questions on it, because the guys whose clutches aren't stuck aren't posting. I think it might be a little more accurate if every time someone said it is a common problem that they added the caveat/s that the crawler is in an area with 50 inches of rain a year, has never seen a shed since it was purchased, sits in the woods uncovered for months and months at a time, hasn't moved or steered in the last 5 -10 years, etc.
I have a shed full of dry clutch crawlers, and a steering clutch being stuck is just not one of the issues I am concerned about from them sitting.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

Red66
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by Red66 » Tue Dec 06, 2022 7:10 pm

Thanks for your insight on this. I’m hoping that they are just stuck. The gentleman told me they were working fine when he put it in the shed about a year and half ago. The machine came from western Kentucky and with the wild temperature changes we have in this area condensate in the housings would not be a surprise. It was 43F yesterday and 71F today. Are those housing sealed?