John deer 9550 backhoe attachment help

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
jsummerlin18
MC crawler
MC crawler

John deer 9550 backhoe attachment help

Post by jsummerlin18 » Thu Dec 08, 2022 3:44 pm

I have a 1980 JD 450 crawler with the 9550 backhoe attachment. As all cylinders this age one of my swings arms are in need of a rebuild. I have everything taken loose but can't figure out how to remove the cylinder from the attachment. I've searched high and low for info and can't find any. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: John deer 9550 backhoe attachment help

Post by Jim B » Fri Dec 09, 2022 7:19 am

Welcome to the Boards.

A bit of housekeeping. You may find your post has moved to the Late Models Board when you look for it. Posts related to crawlers and attachments of the 350/450 vintage should be on that board, the Early Models Board is for models 2010 and earlier.

Do you have any manuals? OMT73799 is the Operator's Manual for the 9550. It doesn't look like there is a stand-alone service/technical manual for that model. It is covered in TM1115 which is the technical manual for the 350C and TM1102 for the 450C. It could also be in others but does not appear to be covered in the straight 450 or 450B technical manuals. So, do you have a straight 450 which would be no newer than a 1970, or do you have a 1980 450C? That series suffix letter makes a difference; your serial number will confirm what it is. If you have a 450C there should be info on the model 9550 backhoe in your technical manual.

By swing arms I am guessing you are referring to the swing cylinders. When you say you have taken everything loose does this mean you have removed the pin from the rod and the top and bottom pins from the barrel trunnions as well as all hoses attached to the cylinders? With those things all removed/unhooked it should slide out. Likely not mentioned in the manual is that it is possible a bushing(s) has shifted and worn into the frame to a point that is holding it from pulling out. If you look at the info at the attached link to the online parts book you will see bushings in the cylinder barrel trunnions and the rod end. Anyone of those bushings shifting and wearing into frame next to the pivot point could bind it from pulling out. You should be able to slide feeler gauges across the trunnions and rod end (top and bottom) if the bushings haven't slid out some.
Jim

jsummerlin18
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by jsummerlin18 » Fri Dec 09, 2022 8:33 am

My fingers hit the wrong number. It is a 1970 straight 450. I do not have a manual at the moment. I have the rod pin removed and all hoses. Turnnions is what I'm having a problem with. That's where I'm lost. I don't see any pins. There was a cap plate with 2 bolts on the top and bottom. I removed those and I'm lost on what to do next.

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Jim B » Fri Dec 09, 2022 9:10 am

Take a look at the parts catalog. Here is a link to the page showing the pins (item key #20).

https://partscatalog.deere.com/jdrc/sid ... pgId/18524

It appears they have tapered sleeves (item keys # 19 and #21) on the ends. It also looks like they are center drilled and likely thread to use with a puller rod for removal. Some all-thread rod, the right size piece of pipe, and a plate washer might make a puller that will remove them. I am speculating based on the parts catalog and other I have seen. I have not pulled the pins on one of these.
Jim

jsummerlin18
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by jsummerlin18 » Fri Dec 09, 2022 11:05 am

Ok I did see the tapered sleeve when I removed the top plates. I'm guessing you have to squeeze those together to remove? Kinda like a big c clip? And I do remember there being a hole in the center of the pin, couldn't tell if it was threaded or not. But that makes sense. I will try to remove them tomorrow. I'm gonna rebuild the cylinder myself. Wish I could rebuild it without removing it.