650G parking break wont release

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
jne
40C crawler
40C crawler

650G parking break wont release

Post by jne » Sat Dec 24, 2022 5:34 pm

When my machine sits for a few days, its hard to get the parking break to release. Most of the time, it works like it should after its on time released. Its just like the linkage is not pulling the break off. All the linkage apears to be moving like it should. Was wondering if theres a valve thats sticking? Filters and oil was changed not many hrs ago.

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: 650G parking break wont release

Post by Jim B » Sun Dec 25, 2022 8:41 am

Just a housekeeping note here. This type of post about a 650G issue should be on the Late Models Board, it's not really a FAQ. Don't be surprised if it gets moved over to that Board when Lavoy or moderator sees it.

650G is a pretty new unit around here, not many have them, and they are different than the older units. Hopefully one who has some experience with this model will be along with some insight.

I would start by going through the trouble shooting and adjustments sections of the Operation and Test manual, TM1403, (450G is one of the machines that has an Operation and Test Technical Manual as well as a Repair Technical Manual, TM1404, both manuals are needed for full coverage). If you don't have the manuals, you should get a set.

Wish I had better info on this for you.
Jim

jne
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by jne » Sun Dec 25, 2022 10:22 am

Thanks for the reply Jim. Sorry for put it in the wrong board.

dtoots1
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by dtoots1 » Mon Dec 26, 2022 6:32 pm

ALSO, put your location in your profile, you could well have a neighborly JD owner close by

LeonardL
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by LeonardL » Wed Dec 28, 2022 9:00 am

Well it's been about a hundred years since I was last around one of the G series crawlers. However if memory serves there is a valve and some linkage that is part of the activation of the parking brake. I would have to refer to a tech manual which I do not have to be sure and if you don't have one then I highly suggest you purchase one that is for your machine. That being for the serial number of your specific crawler.

The G series machines were just about bullet proof. We had several of them and never had any issues other than minor repairs and undercarriage wearing out. They are a great machine to have. The one issue I dealt with that is similar to what you describe was the brake bands were worn to the point that all of the adjustment had been taken up on the automatic adjusters. That caused the brakes to over center when the parking brake would apply. That then makes the parking brake hard to release when you try to release it after it sets for a bit. As long as the machine has been running then there will be enough residual pressure still hanging around to allow the brake to release normally. Then after it sets it does it all over again.

That was my experience and a set of brakes and running of all the adjustments fixed the issue. This may be your problem but then it may not. I'm just saying this was what I experienced with one of our G series crawlers.

All of this being said, to me it points to worn brake bands. I would venture a guess that the longer you run this machine the more likely you will start to have issues with the individual steering pedals sticking down as well. You can try adjustments first to see if it is only that. Hopefully you will get lucky and that will fix it. I apologize for not being able to help you further. There may be some other guys on here that can help you further than I could. Good Luck!! :D
40 plus years working on JD 350s, 400Gs, 450s and other equipment both Ag and Construction.

jne
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by jne » Wed Dec 28, 2022 9:06 pm

Thanks for the reply. Little more infor I forgot to mention. I went thru the steering clutches about 150 hr ago, I thought the brake bands and clutches were worn out. When I got into them they werent. I had to make some adjustments that cleared the problems up I was having of not steering the way it should. We bought it new around 1990 and it has probably got close to 14000 hrs on it. Its been a great machine. Just needs a little more TLC to get it back going like it should. Its not been used much in the last 6 or 8 years except for work around the farm.

LeonardL
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by LeonardL » Thu Dec 29, 2022 9:13 am

I would think then you may have a valve bypassing or perhaps a linkage worn or something fairly simple then that is causing the issue. Fourteen thousand hours doesn't surprise me at all on a G series machine. As I said before they are just about bullet proof. We had several that ran well over ten thousand hours and were still going when we sold them. I have always thought this series was one of Deeres best since they just don't have many issues.

I would look for something worn since you have that many hours along with its age. Let us know if and when you find something. :D
40 plus years working on JD 350s, 400Gs, 450s and other equipment both Ag and Construction.