No rock guards or sprocket shields.

boaterri
430 crawler
430 crawler

Re: Oh boy, need a lot of track help

Post by boaterri » Tue Jan 03, 2023 2:13 pm

Jim B wrote:
Mon Jan 02, 2023 6:23 pm
You need to determine how much play there is in the shaft and bushings inside the idler, then how much is wear on the rails where the guides and brackets ride. There are wear straps and shims in the brackets and weld on strips on the rails that can be replaced. Things can be built up with weld if needed. Your service manual (SM2064) should cover checking and shimming the idlers and slide brackets.

Talk with Lavoy on parts he may have the ability to supply what you need or suggestions of where to check.
All of the items mentioned above are readily available from aftermarket sources. Google John Deere Dozer undercarriage parts or Lavoy may have the parts.

pearljam724
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by pearljam724 » Wed Jan 04, 2023 3:20 pm

Thank you, to this point I haven’t been able to track down an idler for this machine.

boaterri
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by boaterri » Wed Jan 04, 2023 5:37 pm

Try here:

https://www.brokentractor.com/p/john-de ... -at184193/

You can do a complete rebuild from their stock. Everything usually in stock.

Rick

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Jim B » Wed Jan 04, 2023 5:47 pm

Have you called Lavoy? Track part suppliers often have warehouse across the country, so dealers can drop ship from a warehouse closer to you than a vendor might be. Have you talked to your JD dealer or other equipment dealer? They may handle an aftermarket line as well as the OEM parts. Are you using the link for the parts catalog I gave you and getting the part numbers you need and using those to search? If you are only looking at what shows online, selection may be limited. It works better to email or talk on the phone for some of these things. You may find an assembly is more cost effective than individual parts. If you add your general location to your profile someone might give you a lead on a place near you to check. Just some ideas.

pearljam724
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by pearljam724 » Wed Jan 04, 2023 6:48 pm

Thank you guys. I appreciate any suggestions. Yes, I contacted Lavoy and my local John Deere. No luck in either places. I also talked to a local heavy equipment mechanic that I deal with a lot with my work and no one has any positive answers. i find it surprising that there aren’t more options out there that I have found to this point. John Deere can get the wheel and a bushing. But, that’s all. I have a feeling that the problem is in the housing that rest on the rails. On the outside of the wheels.

B Town
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by B Town » Wed Jan 04, 2023 7:55 pm

If you have not found an idler from the above sources, consider this contact. C&C equipment out of IN uses this company quite a bit and recommends them highly.

https://www.itramerica.com/

pearljam724
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by pearljam724 » Thu Jan 05, 2023 9:54 am

I will give them a shot B- town. If I can’t find one close, I’m sure shipping will be murder. Thank you

pearljam724
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by pearljam724 » Thu Jan 05, 2023 11:41 am

Does anyone know what the housing is called that has the grease fitting attached on the idler ? You know, the square looking block that rests on the rail. I assume that part and the bushing inside the wheel causes the idler wheel movement if it’s worn ? A lot of people sell the idler wheel and yoke. But, my wheel is not worn very much and the yoke holds grease pressure as the seal was just replaced recently. Is this correct in my thinking ?

boaterri
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by boaterri » Thu Jan 05, 2023 2:24 pm

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Jim B » Thu Jan 05, 2023 4:12 pm

Here is a link you can click to go to the homepage of the John Deere online parts catalogs where you can search for the different parts catalogs. I think I gave it to you previously so you could look up parts for your crawler.

John Deere Parts Catalogs search page

Here is a direct link you can click to go to the 450 crawler online parts catalog

450 Crawler Parts Catalog

Here is a direct link you can click to go to the Loader for the 450 crawler online parts catalog.

Loader for the 450 crawler Parts Catalog

Looking at the front idler pages in the crawler parts catalog it looks like you are referring to what they call brackets. There are two idler pages. References to serial numbers and casting numbers come into play as which one you have. These are the pieces that ride on the rails and cover the idlers seals. As I mentioned previously here, if just worn they could be built up with weld, then shimmed as needed. And there are wear strips on the track frames, on that parts page, that can be replaced to help tighten things up as part of that repair. You should see info about all this in the service manual (SM2064). Do you have a copy of that manual?

pearljam724
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by pearljam724 » Thu Jan 05, 2023 5:09 pm

Thank you, Jim B. Great news, got the track back on. I may have discovered another problem that doesn’t make sense. Unless, my model doesn’t have that 3/8 bb inside the tensioner. Mine never had one. I was extremely careful not to lose it. In fact, I used a strong magnet to cover half of the hole as I pumped grease very slowly out. I stuck a magnet down in the hole afterward and no bb. Maybe that was the problem from the previous owner’s mistake ? But, wouldn’t it have not held pressure at all ? I have a bb in there now and all is good. For now

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Jim B » Thu Jan 05, 2023 5:27 pm

Often the screw can be tightened enough to hold until the idler get pressure against it then the grease leaks out (due to not completely sealing the hole), track gets loose, and can come off.

pearljam724
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by pearljam724 » Thu Jan 05, 2023 7:34 pm

That’s what i’m thinking and hoping Jim B. But, something tells me I won’t be that lucky. It’s fixed for now. I brought ran it back to my house from quite a distance through some rough terrain and as of now. All is good. But, I want to track down an idler used or preferred new. I’ve contacted 4-5 people to this point and no luck. Except for the idler wheel and bushing.