can a 450b be pulled ?

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
make do homesteader
40C crawler
40C crawler

can a 450b be pulled ?

Post by make do homesteader » Sun Jan 08, 2023 2:43 pm

I'm going to see a 450b crawler, it starts but won't move, has sat for three years but said to be ok when it was parked. I'm thinking the dry steering pac clutches are froze. Can it be winched on by simply putting it in neutral? Would it be a good idea to loosen the brake band on the clutches and pull the sticks 1/2 way back (as per the technical manual to pull a dead crawler)? Thanks for ANY advice. Matt

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: can a 450b be pulled ?

Post by Jim B » Sun Jan 08, 2023 6:02 pm

More info may help with determining the likely issue.

Does it kill the engine when you try to move it? If stuck engaged, steering clutches would let it move but not steer. People commonly try running into an immovable object to shock stuck steering clutches free. If it kills the engine when trying to move it, that could be brakes rusted to the drums. Could be tracks rusted solid (you should see the sprockets trying to turn). You don't say where this is located, or the temperatures involved. If it got water in the transmission, final drive housings, etc. and it has frozen into ice, that could keep it from moving.

If it doesn't kill the engine, that could be a failed engine clutch, problem in the H-L-R, steering clutches stuck disengaged, or something broken in the drive line.

pearljam724
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by pearljam724 » Mon Jan 09, 2023 11:07 am

Most definitely. I have 2 Cat D4’s on my property that have sat for over 10 years and my 450 will move each one of them a hair above idle.

make do homesteader
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by make do homesteader » Thu Jan 12, 2023 10:11 am

Loosened the brake bands and was able to move it ( strong but gentle persuasion). still have serious right steering issues. I'm going to research and reset all clutch and brake setting I can reach and see what happens next. Thanks for your input. Matt