Can’t Decode, help please.

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
TXPower
MC crawler
MC crawler

Can’t Decode, help please.

Post by TXPower » Mon Jan 16, 2023 10:24 am

Greetings, new here and need help. I’ve been reading and searching and can’t seem to figure out what machine I’m working on for sure. I’ve read the post that explains decoding the serial plate number but the sequences of numbers which indicate year model etc don’t match what’s on the machine I’m working on.

The machine has a serial number stamped in a plate attached to it. Stenciled on the side is 450-B. I believe it is a 450 but want to be sure.

The serial plate reads: T5F3M 061799T

The sequences of numbers by year of manufacture posted on other posts on this forum begin with a 1 or larger number as the first character beyond the first 5 characters designating it was built in Iowa and is a diesel powered engine.

Am I missing something in my understanding of the previous explanations on serial decoding?

Can someone please help me with proper identification on this. I want to be sure I have this machine properly identified before dig in too far.

Thanks,

TXPower

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: Can’t Decode, help please.

Post by Jim B » Mon Jan 16, 2023 11:09 am

Welcome to the boards.

Here is the breakdown of the info on your machine's serial number tag using the 450 Introduction from the JD 450 Parts Catalog:

SN = serial number
T = Tractor
5 = JD450
F= Crawler - Dozer
3 = Diesel
M= (Transmission) Hi-Lo-Reverse

Serial number: 061799 (This number falls in the 1968 build range using the serial number list on this site’s FAQ board)

T= (Build location) John Deere Dubuque Works

This serial number is a 1968 straight 450 crawler equipped with dozer blade having a diesel engine and H-L-R transmission.

JD used 6-digit serial numbers for these. Many lists do not show the 0 which was used at the beginning of serial numbers 99999 and below. So if you see a list and there are only 5 digits shown it is safe to include a 0 in front of the 5 digits to make a 6-digit number. 0 would only be at the end of the 5 or 6 digits as a part of the number, the end is not to be added to or deleted from.

On a housekeeping note. When you post about your 450 it is best you do it on the Late Models Board. That is where questions and info about the 350, 450, and later model machines are generally kept. A moderator may, or may not, move this post over there at some point.
Jim

TXPower
MC crawler
MC crawler

Re: Can’t Decode, help please.

Post by TXPower » Mon Jan 16, 2023 11:49 am

Thank you Jim B!

Sorry for posting on wrong index. I will pay attention to that in the future.

TXPower