350C Reverser/Transmission

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
CoachPasterMatt
MC crawler
MC crawler

350C Reverser/Transmission

Post by CoachPasterMatt » Fri Feb 03, 2023 9:08 am

New to the forum. Appreciate all the knowledge. I have been attempting to soak it all in on the 350C.

I just recently purchased this machine. Used it for couple hrs over 2 days. What I noticed about the machine is that it pushed dirt fine didn't seem to slip make any funny noises had plenty of power drove straight function normal. Now that's to the best of my knowledge which is limited with dozers. I began ushing on a decline and using the power reverser it would not back up. (never thought to use the reverse Gear) I assumed the oil level in reverser got low. Got it back to level ground and parked it and checked reverser and it was low.

I have noticed the transferring of reverser oil into the transmission reservoir. I refilled the reverser and it worked fine again the next day. It's been parked since. Reverser Levels low again. Transmission Levels high.

It did seem however that as soon as I began to refill the reverser without the tractor running the level in the transmission dipstick went up pretty quick. Is this an indicator or a way to diagnose the issue?

Also my clutch pedal sticks down. It functions when depressed although difficult to push it just won't return back. The return spring seems fine. All the linkage seems to be working fine. I think its where the clutch is on the side of case. Is this related in the diagnostic?

Not sure if this is related...after removing floor pans and cleaning up, I noticed a bolt missing on top of the transmission case left side right behind the shifter boot. I will try and attach pictures. It goes all the way into the case. It needs replaced as it was a possible source for contaminates. Is this just simply a cap screw or is this part of the PTO shifter shaft. I did my best to look it up on the service manual and on John Deere parts catalog. I'm having a hard time determining if it has PTO or not. This unit does have reverse on the shifter in addition to the power reverser it has a shaft with splines coming out of the rear of the machine but no levers to make PTO run.

I need a game plan to diagnose the reverser/transmission problem then begin repairs. Is there a simplest to hardest diagnosis? Does any of this info help? Steering control valve? steering clutch seals? Is there any other way to know where to start? Ask any questions you need.

Any help is much appreciated.

[https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipP ... gFvEkY34Jm]
350CE Crawler Dozer

original possum
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Re: 350C Reverser/Transmission

Post by original possum » Sat Feb 04, 2023 9:10 am

I see you haven't gotten an answer and will try to help. I can't open your pics without getting on too many spam lists. There is no connection between reverser and transmission so the tranny level shouldn't come up from adding to the reverser. Get an operator's manual to see where to check and where to add oil. If the reverser works okay cold but loses reverse after awhile there could be several causes. The first is having the right specification and amount of oil. If it slips only in reverse (can't go up an incline) it wants service. All you can probably do easily is add oil and change the filter. Next time the reverser slips, pull both clutch handles while it is slipping and then release them, and it MAY engage. This doesn't fix the problem but may get you home. As to the sticking pedal - not enough useable information.
Early 40C w/Yakima toolbar and homebuilt ripper: 350 w/6-way

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Jim B » Sat Feb 04, 2023 9:38 am

With a wet clutch steering 350C, a leak in a steering clutch seal or hose inside the housing, would put reverser oil into the transmission, wouldn't it? Isn't the transmission differential, steering clutch housings and final drive housings common oil with the level checked with the transmission dipstick?

LeonardL
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by LeonardL » Sat Feb 04, 2023 9:39 am

Hello and welcome to the madness!! :D I will try to answer as much of this as I can given the information you have given us. Your fluid levels can and will transfer from the reverser to the transmission in a few different ways. The prior post is correct in that the two units do not share a common sump and are separated by the individual cases. Those being the reverser and the transmission. However the reverser is the hydraulic source for steering clutch engagement. So yes if a seal or ring is bad in the system then it will raise the fluid level in the transmission.

Since you say this machine seems to operate normally without slippage of a clutch and it seems to steer correctly, I would first look at the "O-rings" underneath the steering valve. Those will dry out and cause a leak from the valve directly inside the transmission. This is a somewhat easy task of just removing the seat and removing the steering valve. Hopefully this is all the problem you have.

Otherwise it could be a steel sealing ring or a piston seal inside one or both of the clutch packs. There are also a couple of tubes that have o-rings on them that can develop a leak. Any of these issues will require a major undertaking. Break the track and remove the finals and so forth.

Your dragging clutch pedal is caused from rust building up where the pedal pivots on a pin on the side of the reverser case. Shoot some penetrant on it and work it until it frees up. I have had these get so bound up that I had to drill a hole through the lever and then use heat and penetrant to get them to free up. They should work freely under normal operation.

I couldn't get your pictures to open so I'm not sure what bolt hole you are referring to. It sounds like you have a PTO but perhaps the engagement lever is missing?? Not sure without being able to see it. The lever for the PTO should be right behind your left heel as you sit in the seat.

I will also send you a PM so be watching for that as well. Hope this helps a bit!!
40 plus years working on JD 350s, 400Gs, 450s and other equipment both Ag and Construction.

CoachPasterMatt
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by CoachPasterMatt » Fri Mar 03, 2023 3:43 pm

Thanks everyone for your responses. Thanks to Leonard I was able to free up the clutch pedal and is working fine. Had to clean all the debris out from around it, sprayed penetrating oil and worked it until it became free. Now it works like it should. It took patience and time. I am unable to figure out how to upload pictures. I have mostly been taking videos. I have been slowly cleaning and investigating this machine. So far I have changed filters and oils in the reverser, transmission, and hydraulic tank. The throttle cable was stuck bad but was recommended to remove and soak in hydraulic oil. I just used what I drained. Eventually it worked loose and is now operational again. I did have to throw my weight around to work the cable back and forth. The vise broke and I went flying! Either way patience and persistence seem to be the motto so far. Still investigating the Reverser/Transmission. I ran it for a few hours after fluids and filter changes and it did well. I will continue to watch and learn. I do think I will remove the steering valve cover and look at or replace the o'rings. I have not had many leaks. 2 Small hydraulic leaks. One in the metal return line and one in the crossover oil line. Both are metal. Did you repair it? Replace with OEM or have someone make them?

Thanks again,
Coach
350CE Crawler Dozer