Anyone familiar with throttle cable troubles ?

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
pearljam724
430 crawler
430 crawler

Anyone familiar with throttle cable troubles ?

Post by pearljam724 » Sun Feb 05, 2023 9:02 am

I have a 1965 John Deere 450 loader. Since I last ran and shut off the machine. The throttle will not budge from being completely shut off. I initially thought that maybe the linkage on either end is hung up. That’s not the case, both ends move freely, etc. I’m positive the cable is not broken. I can verify the cable ends move slightly when pulling on the opposite end. And if the cable was broken the throttle lever would have no resistance. This throttle leaver will not budge. I’ve done everything but remove the cable. The cable doesn’t appear to be very old. I can clearly see how to remove cable. The only question I have concerning cable is how in the heck do you remove it from its bracket behind the engine ? There is a bracket down inside a cavity that I can’t see how it’s possible to remove it. Can you access it under the dash ? I removed the instrument panel. Can anyone shine a light on why this damn throttle leaver won’t move when it’s attached to cable ? It moves when I remove cable so that tells me it’s definitely the cable. But, like I said. The cable isn’t broke.

jsal
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Re: Anyone familiar with throttle cable troubles ?

Post by jsal » Sun Feb 05, 2023 9:47 am

had same problem on my 350 dozer found a local shop that makes cables and had one made less money than Deere

pearljam724
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by pearljam724 » Sun Feb 05, 2023 9:54 am

That’s what I would like to find local.

B Town
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by B Town » Sun Feb 05, 2023 11:36 am

I have bought online from bunker hill. Superb quality. It is important to measure the length, as there were 3 different lengths, I believe all the same PN.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/163652723033?h ... R7zImqrEYQ

The rear portion of the cable is a bugger to get to. Best to take hood off and fuel filter system. Best to have small hands and an assortment of tools, pliers etc. The small cable clamp with hardware is by far the real pain. Just take your time and be certain the cable is captured in the intended local.

Probably time to replace the friction washers on the speed control. #12 on the Deere parts online. Just saying, while you are there.

https://partscatalog.deere.com/jdrc/sid ... gId/102303

Best regards, Bruce

pearljam724
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by pearljam724 » Sun Feb 05, 2023 2:50 pm

You mean best to remove air filter, not fuel filter ?

B Town
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by B Town » Sun Feb 05, 2023 5:05 pm

I replaced the cable on my C series. I did not remove the air filter, I didn’t bunk it would help me situation on the C series. I did remove the hood, R engine screen, lifted and secured the loader, removed the fuel filter to get the the right rear of the engine, where the cable connects to the speed control lever on the C series. Sorry, I should have been more clear, my experience was on a C series.

pearljam724
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by pearljam724 » Sun Feb 05, 2023 6:18 pm

I believe the C series should be nearly identical to mine ? I took everything off this evening with exception of the bracket that holds the cable behind the engine. I removed fuel filters. I see now why those have to come off. That bracket behind the engine is going to be a nightmare. That’s all I have left for removal.

pearljam724
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by pearljam724 » Mon Feb 06, 2023 10:29 am

Freaking hilarious. Just called John Deere to price cable. 240 plus tax.

zebqup
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by zebqup » Tue Feb 07, 2023 3:41 pm

My 350B did the same thing and I just squired penetrating oil down the cable sheath from the lever end and it freed up. I have to do it every couple of months. Maybe because it is so wet in the Northwest. Going to try liquid graphite next time and see if it lasts longer. The woman I bought the loader from would put her foot the on the lever to move it. It finally got to the point where it would not move at all.

Got the idea from someone on this board.
JD 1010 Diesel JD 2320 JD 350B loader

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Jim B » Tue Feb 07, 2023 4:22 pm

Years ago, I was a mechanic at a concrete plant. Winter freezing weather was often a problem once the mixer truck cables got some wear and the seals. One manufacture recommended lubing the cables with straight permanent antifreeze. I had a tubular steel adapter made that threaded on to the cables mounting threads, after removing that end from its mounting, with a grease zerk in the other end. After spending the night in the shop to thaw the cables out, we lubed them with antifreeze. The seals were removed from the end the adapter was threaded onto and slid back on the other end of the cable. A bulk fill grease gun was filled with straight antifreeze and used to pump the antifreeze through the cable. The control lever at the other end of the cable was stroked to move the cable as the antifreeze was pumped through the cable until it came out the other end of the cable. We would often push fluid through until it was coming out clear, often it was rusty in the beginning. It was done in warmer weather as well to lube cables that moved hard. This could be done using a length of hose, some fittings and clamps instead of the adapter I had, there just needs to be a method to be able to force the antifreeze through the cable housing. This was not done to new cables as the lube and seals in them were usually trouble free for quite a while. It was done after the seals got to the point that they were allowing water inside the cable housing. Oil, or a penetrating fluid, could be pushed through the cable the same way. Not saying it is a cure all but just throwing it out as a possible way to gain some life for a sticky control cable.
Jim

Hurlbutt
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by Hurlbutt » Tue Feb 07, 2023 9:23 pm

Every now and then We would have an aircraft with stiff control cables for the throttle or carb heat. If the cable had a solid jacket we would remove the cable from the bellcrank it mounted to and slide a length of hose over it and clamp it tight on the housing. Then fill the open end of the added hose with Mouse Milk and use a hose quick connect on the hose to push the Mouse Milk up into the cabin using very low air pressure on the air line. We would also exercise it periodically. I'm inclined to think the straight antifreeze might be the way to go. Fair corrosion inhibitor with some lubrication properties. The down side would be the water absorption and dilution. Is there a low melting point grease that isn't hygroscopic. Perhaps it could be melted to an oil and pushed up through with a little air pressure.
Bill

pearljam724
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by pearljam724 » Wed Feb 08, 2023 11:42 am

This cable doesn’t appear to be very old It never showed any prior signs of sticking the slightest. It won’t budge now, it’s definitely not broken. I put a lot of pressure on the the throttle ever and it won’t budge. Maybe, after I get it off. I’ll stick it in a bucket of light motor oil. Hoping to revive it. $130 for a cable is insane. Worst case, I ll have to bend over. Ha Ha

pearljam724
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by pearljam724 » Fri Mar 03, 2023 11:20 am

Received new cable from Bunker Hill Engines out of Ohio. Very good company to deal with. Fantastic quality. $116 shipping and tax included. Compared to $240 plus tax from John Deere. Strangest thing, old cable suddenly wouldn’t budge. No stiffness or prior signs to it seizing up. Had less than 1 inch of travel once removed. New cable had 4 inches of travel.

B Town
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by B Town » Fri Mar 03, 2023 1:16 pm

Excellent news. I would not have recommended them if I had not had excellent experience with Bunker Hill. I have a spare cable hanging on the shop wall!

Best regards, Bruce

pearljam724
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by pearljam724 » Fri Mar 03, 2023 3:55 pm

I agree, thank you Bruce. It was at my door step 2 days after I ordered it. I had to order a different length too. My cable is 5 ft rather than 4. That rear bracket behind the engine is a real pain to remove. Should be a lot easier to put back on though.