Smoking smoking and more smoke

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
Dbyrom
MC crawler
MC crawler

Smoking smoking and more smoke

Post by Dbyrom » Mon Feb 06, 2023 8:30 am

Well I install new carburetor running fine now. The problem lots of smoke coming from exhaust and blow back and I have also noticed she doesn’t want to turn, right. Any help with this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for the feedback on my other topic.

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: Smoking smoking and more smoke

Post by Jim B » Wed Feb 08, 2023 5:52 am

This is the 350B gas you have posted about previously, correct? It helps if you mention what your machine is when you start a post to save people having to look back for your previous posts. Good information usually gets better answers since we can't see the machine or problem. I, and I am sure others, have encountered cases where the post subject machine was not one that has been posted about before, or the poster had multiple machines.

I don't understand what you are saying as far as it is running right with the new carb. A lot of smoke and blow back doesn't sound like it is running fine. Did you adjust the carb jets? How are the ignition components? Have you done a complete tune-up and set the timing? When was the valve lash last checked? Have you done a compression test?

As for steering. If it is not turning to the right side, it could be the right steering clutch is not releasing and brake working properly, or the left side steering clutch is slipping, maybe some of both. The right-side steering clutch has to disengage, and the left side has to drive to turn to the right. What happens if you put the blade/bucket (you haven't said if it is a dozer, loader, or bare crawler) against a big rock or something it can't push, in 1st gear and try pushing. When you pull the right lever does the left track spin? Does the right track spin with the right lever pulled back? I would recommend inspecting the steering clutches for oil or other contamination and doing a full steering clutch and brake adjustment, every step in the manual, in the order given.

Dbyrom
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by Dbyrom » Tue Feb 14, 2023 10:26 am

Thank you for your comments and help. As far as I know it’s just a 350 1965 model ser# 016133T. It has the six way blade. I install a new carburetor and it’s running on its own. It smokes a lot from exhaust and blow by. The timing appears to be correct and carb doesn’t appear to need any adjustments. I did a compression test # 1 35 psi, # 2 65 psi and # 3 25 psi.

I drove it into a tree and the only right track turns. The left track doesn’t appear to be engaged at all. I’ve tried to pull both levers but the only thing that happens is when the right lever is pulled all the way back it stops. When I pull the left lever back nothing happens the right level has lots of play but the left one feels normal to me. The right side foot paddle/ brake is very tight and does move with the right lever.

This machine has been sitting over over 10 years.

I really appreciate your input.

Thanks
David

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Tue Feb 14, 2023 4:35 pm

You are going to have to get into the steering clutches. No big deal, I keep most of the parts on hand.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Jim B » Tue Feb 14, 2023 5:38 pm

Glad to hear it is running.

Your compression numbers don't look right, I wouldn't expect it to run with those low numbers. Did you have all 3 sparkplugs out, throttle wide open, fully charged battery(s) and it is good to have a charger on it, so the battery stays up. It should be cranked over until the gauge stops going up, usually 5 or 6 compression strokes. If it is 5, or 6, strokes for #1 try to do the same number of strokes on the other cylinders. Record the results. Then do it again but squirt 3 or 4 shots of motor oil in each cylinder prior to checking the compression on that cylinder. And record the results. If you did all these things and those are the numbers, it is in need of a rebuild.

If the left track is not driving (turning) when the right lever is pulled it, is not going to turn. When 350 turns left, the left lever disengages the left steering clutch. For a right turn the right lever disengages the right steering clutch (also it applies the brake depending on how far back the lever is pulled), and the left track continues to drive. If you remove the top covers of the steering clutch housings and look inside, they should be dry, no oil or water as 350s have dry steering clutches and brakes.

Do you have the Service Manual (SM2063)? Do you have the Operator's Manual? OMT32423 is the only 350 Operator's Manual currently shown in the JD Construction Equipment Technical Book Store, there are earlier printings with different part numbers. Either will give you info on adjusting the steering clutches and brakes. The right pedal is the brake pedal and should apply both brakes together to stop or hold the crawler. The steering brakes are operated by the levers, not pedals like CAT and some others.

I am afraid your steering troubles are beyond adjustments, and you will have to get into the steering clutches, as Lavoy posted.

Dbyrom
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by Dbyrom » Sun Mar 05, 2023 9:51 pm

Thank you for the reply. Sorry it’s taken me so long to respond. I had the other plugs in when I did the compression test. I started it today and as usual it took lots of starting fluid. Once it starts there’s lots of smoke pouring out of the exhaust and blow by. I’m guessing it needs to be overhauled or just buy a new engine.

The right lever doesn’t feel like it’s engaged but the left one does. Your correct when I pull the right level it will work the brake paddle. The left track doesn’t seem to have any power and the right track is the only one that appears to be working. I haven’t got into the steering boxes mainly because I fear what I’m going to find broke. Apparently this dozer worked fine before it was left sitting for over 10 years.

I did get all 6 ways working on the blade. The in and out needed some TLC probably because it’s set all those years.

If you know someone that sells engines for this model I would definitely entertain purchasing one.

Thanks again.
David