Any of you ever remove an idler ?

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
pearljam724
430 crawler
430 crawler

Any of you ever remove an idler ?

Post by pearljam724 » Thu Mar 09, 2023 9:21 am

I realize the largest challenge for an average person to change the idler seal is to remove the track. Once that is done how difficult is it to remove the idler to replace the seal ? I know there’s 4 bolts that need removed on the yoke Beside those yoke bolts, what physically needs done in order to remove the idler to access the seal ? I have one track that leaks down over a week or two if grease isn’t added. I’d like to replace the seal myself one day. Right now, it’s manageable. But, I realize the seal needs changed .

LeonardL
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: Any of you ever remove an idler ?

Post by LeonardL » Fri Mar 10, 2023 9:25 am

Once you remove those four bolts you slide the idler forward and off of the track frame. It is heavy however and you will need a lifting source to help. I have been lucky enough to not have to completely remove the idler in order to get the adjuster out and off of the track frame. So I would try to collapse the adjuster as far as it will go and then slide the idler out until you have clearance enough to get the adjuster off. That way the idler stays at least part of the way on the track frame and you don't need to completely remove it. I hope this makes sense!! :D
40 plus years working on JD 350s, 400Gs, 450s and other equipment both Ag and Construction.

pearljam724
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by pearljam724 » Fri Mar 10, 2023 1:49 pm

I think I understand what your saying. You’re saying to remove the grease bleadsr bolt. Pull the idler completely back toward the rear to release the grease pressure. Allowing enough slack in the track that the idler can be pushed forward to replace the seal without removing the track ? Is that right ? If that’s the case, it might be pretty manageable for me. As I don’t have a proper vise to split the track. I’ve messed with moving the idler not long ago to remount that track that came off. I realized by experience how that’s done. If it’s possible without removing track. It will be fairly easy, minus the idler weight. I do realize it’s extremely heavy.

LeonardL
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by LeonardL » Fri Mar 10, 2023 4:01 pm

No dude you will have to break the track. There is no way to get enough slack to get those out without breaking it. I thought you already knew you had to break the track. What I'm saying is once you have the track apart you get it out of the way so all you have is the track frame with the idler still on it. Remove the four bolts that hold the adjuster to the idler and slide the idler forward for enough to give you the clearance needed to remove the adjuster.
40 plus years working on JD 350s, 400Gs, 450s and other equipment both Ag and Construction.

jsal
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by jsal » Sun Mar 19, 2023 8:56 am

if you put a block on the sprocket teeth and turn track in reverse to collapse the adjuster then pull adjuster forward you may have enough clearance to remove youyoker !!

boaterri
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by boaterri » Tue Mar 21, 2023 6:23 am

You can also put a block of wood between the back of the blade or bucket and the track and use the hydraulics to compress the tensioner. If the tracks are old and long, you can get them off without breaking them. Compress the tensioner and use come a longs and a rock pick to work the track off.

original possum
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by original possum » Thu Mar 23, 2023 3:08 pm

After collapsing the tensioner and removing the bolts put a chain thru the sprocket and use the hydraulics to extend the track and you will surely have enough room. Remember the tensioner must be collapsed to re-install.
Early 40C w/Yakima toolbar and homebuilt ripper: 350 w/6-way

original possum
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by original possum » Fri Mar 24, 2023 4:21 pm

Dang it! meant a chain thru idler, not sprocket. It's hell getting old.
Early 40C w/Yakima toolbar and homebuilt ripper: 350 w/6-way