wet spot rear right sprocket

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
Gwilkrrs
430 crawler
430 crawler

wet spot rear right sprocket

Post by Gwilkrrs » Fri Mar 31, 2023 4:21 am

so the machine is parked on sheets of plywood so I could pull the radiator instead of being on dirt. I noticed a fluid puddle under the machine right at the sprocket area and wire spooled around the shaft. I got the wire out and now i am looking for diagrams to see what happened and what's wrong.

any way to check fluid to see level? I think this is the drive area? is there a seal on the shaft that the wire (looked like barbed wire type wire) could have gotten?

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: wet spot rear right sprocket

Post by Jim B » Fri Mar 31, 2023 6:04 am

Is this wire something new? A year ago, (when you got this machine?) you posted the previous owner had wrapped baling wire around that same area and didn't know if it hurt the seal. Yes, there is a seal on the spindle shaft, the sprocket bolts to, that wire could have damaged. Here is a link to the page in the online copy of PC1480, item key # 3 is the seal kit.

https://partscatalog.deere.com/jdrc/sid ... on/pgId/52

I don't have the technical manual TM1115 for the 350C to tell you the section/pages to look at for the final drive, but at that time you said you had a copy of the technical manual, as well as the parts catalog PC1480 with the machine. Both have info on the seal and bearing arrangement of the final drive. Perhaps one of the guys with a 350C has TM1115 will be able to tell you the section/pages to study. The operator's manual tells you the transmission dipstick also measures the steering clutch housing and final drives as they are a common sump. A leak in a final drive will cause the transmission oil to go down.

If you don't have, or didn't get, a copy of the Operator's Manual go to https://www.johndeeretechinfo.com/.
Type OMT79469 in the center search box that says "Publication Number, Keywords, Description". Then click the search icon beside the box. It will take you to the listing for that operator's manual. You can click on the yellow download button at the left of the title and save a free copy to your computer/device. Or you can purchase a hard copy from that site if you want.

Gwilkrrs
430 crawler
430 crawler

Re: wet spot rear right sprocket

Post by Gwilkrrs » Fri Mar 31, 2023 9:03 am

you are awesome-
correct- same wire deal, I have been in dirt and woods but not fencing. I thought I had pulled it out before but when I saw the wet, I found more on the backside.....

i haven't noticed anything while i ran it but maybe the dirt wasn't powder dry to show it?

thanks for the link- and explanation.

the dipstick and common sump I saw and will check-
I got lost/confused with the final drive section to be honest but will look again......

I will review and read again now that you have directed me

thanks.