Trans fluid draining into final drive

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
AbnTALO
MC crawler
MC crawler

Trans fluid draining into final drive

Post by AbnTALO » Mon Apr 03, 2023 10:18 am

Have a 1982 JD350C dozer that has sat for about 7 years. The engine is great and hydraulics are strong bud having transmission/final drive issues. I’m not a mechanic but can find my way around fixing minor issues.

The problem I’m having is the transmission fluid is emptying into the final drive and not returning. Not knowledge on what to look for. Any help on what would cause the fluid not to cycle back to transmission would be appreciated.

77 Ford
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Re: Trans fluid draining into final drive

Post by 77 Ford » Tue Apr 04, 2023 7:43 am

Sounds to me like the bottom port of the common sump is plugged not allowing fluid to drain back.
JD- 450C track loader
Serial #208336T

LeonardL
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by LeonardL » Thu Apr 06, 2023 3:26 pm

Okay I'm not sure I'm fully following what you're saying. If your machine is for sure a 350 C, your transmission, steering clutch housings and final drives all share the same oil. When you pour fluid into the transmission it will flow through the bearings and fill the final drives first then the steering clutch housings and should fill to a given point on your transmission dipstick. The total capacity is about eleven gallons.
40 plus years working on JD 350s, 400Gs, 450s and other equipment both Ag and Construction.

NWJD fan
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by NWJD fan » Fri Apr 07, 2023 11:11 am

Final drive or steering clutch housing? Transmission or reverser? The steering clutches in a C model are actuated using pressurized oil from the direction reverser. If the seals on one of the steering clutch actuators start leaking oil will transfer from the reverser to the steering clutch housing with no way to return. If it is not a major leak steering will still steer. Proper repair requires accessing steering clutch to reseal. Some folks have opted to install a return line between affected steering clutch housing and reverser case usually on the access panel for the reverser filter