Tachometer cable

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
MichelleO
MC crawler
MC crawler

Tachometer cable

Post by MichelleO » Thu Apr 27, 2023 6:18 pm

New here. I have a JD350 dozer Model # T4F5D Serial #0870857. It is being put together from a 350 loader and I suspect a 350B dozer. I have the reverser control mounted on the battery box and a dashboard without the reverser slot but an opening for the tachometer. I am looking for the part number for the tachometer cable to reach the dashboard tachometer instead of mounting the tachometer on the floor. My part manual is for the floor mounted cable only. Tough butting something together I didn't take apart. I am use to working on a
40 and 40C dozer.

LeonardL
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: Tachometer cable

Post by LeonardL » Sun Apr 30, 2023 5:30 pm

So... a question or two... Where does the tach attach on the motor going into your machine? Does it attach horizontally or vertically? If you don't know, then the horizontal attachment is a small threaded hole in the rear engine mounting plate ( bell housing ) that is at the very end of the camshaft. Or to the left of where the oil pressure sending port is located. You may have an electric sender or a fluid line but it will be located in that area of the mounting plate. The small horizontal hole is the style used for the floor mounted tach.

Or, do you have a vertical attachment that is in basically the same position on the rear engine plate as the horizontal location? It just comes down from the top instead of the rear. It also has a standard Tach / Speedometer cable ferrule type thumb nut that threads onto the outside of the vertical adapter. Make sense? For a Dash mounted tach cable with a vertical attachment, the part number for that cable is ( AT 31116 ) You will also need the seal which is ( B3285R )

Some engines came with a mounting plate that has capability for both style cables. Depending on which you needed you would just cap or plug the one you didn't use. Hope this helps and good luck.
40 plus years working on JD 350s, 400Gs, 450s and other equipment both Ag and Construction.

MichelleO
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by MichelleO » Mon May 01, 2023 11:32 am

Thank you LeonardL for your response. It does attach horizontally and it is a fluid system. Does that mean I can only install the tach on the floor? Can I get or make a line to reach the dash? I would like to have the tach on the dash but if I have to, I will mount it on the floor.

LeonardL
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by LeonardL » Mon May 01, 2023 1:24 pm

Yes you can have a cable made to fit the dash tach. I have also seen an adapter that will connect the original floor tach cable to a standard cable to go to the dash mounted tach.

Have you looked to see if your engines mounting plate has a caped vertical attachment? Other wise I would take the cable you have and have a cable made to fit your machine. That may be the easiest way to go at this.
40 plus years working on JD 350s, 400Gs, 450s and other equipment both Ag and Construction.

MichelleO
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by MichelleO » Tue May 02, 2023 10:20 am

Is the vertical port basically in front of the horizontal opening on the other side of the firewall? If that i its location, then I have a vertical outlet also.

LeonardL
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by LeonardL » Tue May 02, 2023 2:27 pm

Yes, the cap over this attaching point will be exactly where you described. Those caps can be stuck pretty tight some times so be prepared for a fight. Hopefully yours won't be that way. But you should be able to remove the cap and then attach a cable vertically. Remember to plug the other one or you will have an oil leak.

MichelleO
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by MichelleO » Tue May 02, 2023 2:49 pm

Thank you LeonardL. I will order the cable and seal. Will let you know how I made out as I get it installed. Michelle