temp gauges on 450 b

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
make do homesteader
40C crawler
40C crawler

temp gauges on 450 b

Post by make do homesteader » Fri Apr 28, 2023 8:45 am

The temp ranges on the coolant and transmission don't appear to be different on my 450 b. I'm installing number gauges vs range gauges. Does anyone know if the sensors are different or the same in calibration? the part numbers are the same in the part catalog so i'm assuming they have the same range. thanks again
2nd question: the ammeter runs in the middle all the time, only moves a little when I turn the key. does that sound normal? Battery is up and starts fine, etc.

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: temp gauges on 450 b

Post by Jim B » Fri Apr 28, 2023 4:52 pm

The parts book shows the same sender is used if your engine temperature gauge is a Stewart-Warner gauge. If the engine temperature gauge is a VDO brand gauge it uses a different sending unit. You need to confirm which gauge you have, if you haven't yet. Stewart-Warner sending units often have a SW and letter and numbers on the flats of the hex to ID them.

I would recommend getting new gauges and the manufacturers recommended senders for those gauges, not counting on the old senders matching the new gauges.

I suggest using a voltmeter on the battery terminals to see what the voltage is when stopped and again when running. Depending on which wires are installed on which terminal of an ammeter will affect how much the needle moves. You should see about 13.4 to 14.2 volts when charging. 12.6 is generally considered fully charged when the engine is stopped.

make do homesteader
40C crawler
40C crawler

Re: temp gauges on 450 b

Post by make do homesteader » Sat Apr 29, 2023 10:05 am

Thanks Jim B, ill work with that.