450C engine clutch and steering clutches

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
D JACK
MC crawler
MC crawler

450C engine clutch and steering clutches

Post by D JACK » Fri May 05, 2023 6:48 am

Having problems with engine clutch (grinds when changing gears) and steering clutches -don't release?, goes in circle, or sometimes when pull one lever tractor stops completely and will usually go when I push in engine clutch and let off. Once it gets going seems to have normal power.
Do I need to do some adjustment on HLR bolt in clutch housing and if so what?
Have adjusted clutch pedal to 3.75 inches as described in tech manual.
Or do I need to adjust steering clutches through side hole and if so which way?
Have had crawler about 20 years and only use 20 to 30 hours per year clearing brush, pushing stumps and pulling heavy disc for wildlife plots. Just a one man band but still playing at 82 years of age

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: 450C engine clutch and steering clutches

Post by Jim B » Fri May 05, 2023 7:13 am

Welcome to the Boards.

First thing is to determine if you have a 450C or a 450 C. The straight 450 serial tag is located on the right side of the panel below the seat. The 450 will have a space between it and the C (which stands for crawler). A 450 (series) C will have the tag on the front panel of the battery box, right where you look at it when mounting the crawler. There will not be a space between the 450 and the C on the tag. 450C decals were put on many none C series crawlers during repaints. The reason this is important is the straight 450 crawler has dry steering clutches and brakes. The 450C series had wet steering clutches and brakes, totally different.

As for the engine clutch the clutch and clutch valve adjustments are related so both should be done as laid out in the correct manual for your machine. The 450 crawler and the 450C crawler have different operator, service, and parts catalogs. What do you have for manuals?

D JACK
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by D JACK » Fri May 05, 2023 7:34 am

I have the TM1102 technical manual.
Plate on front of battery box lists it as 450CA SN 245366.
Reported to make it a 1976.

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Jim B » Fri May 05, 2023 7:46 am

So, it is a C series which would have wet steering clutches and brakes, no adjustments like the dry clutches. Your manual should give you pressure checks and valve adjustments, for the steering clutches, they are oil applied and the steering valve dumps the oil to release them. A seal or hose leak can cause weak clutches. There is a procedure to check/adjust the brakes in the manual. If you push against something solid can you get both tracks to spin individually? You can go in circles if the track opposite the lever you pull is not driving. Left track drives a right turn, right track drives a left turn.

My 450E will grind when changing the 1-4 gearbox if I rush it, as that side is mechanical and the engine clutch has to disengage along with the HLR valve, thus the need to check/adjust both.