350B with rockshaft- backhoe mount?

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
Andy B
420 crawler
420 crawler

350B with rockshaft- backhoe mount?

Post by Andy B » Thu Jun 08, 2023 8:43 am

I have been using the 350B that I picked up in 2021 (thanks to the moderator of this forum). It is still a NASCAR Crawler (it only turns left LOL).

I'm getting ready to fix the steering issue, and I found an early 9300 backhoe (with the rotary swing cylinder). I figure as long as the crawler will be down for a while to fix the steering clutches, I may as well see about sticking a backhoe mount on.
The 350B I have, has the rockshaft and PTO on it for a 3-pt setup. I don't have any of the other 3-pt pieces on the crawler.
It also has the Drott 4-in-1 bucket.

Can I mount the 9300 backhoe on the crawler in this configuration?
Does the rockshaft need to be removed to install the backhoe?

I do have several projects that the backhoe is needed for, and my plan would be to only mount the backhoe when I'm using it, not having it hanging off the back of the crawler all the time. These are long term projects, so by the time I rented a backhoe 50 times, I may as well just get the backhoe attachment, if it will work without requiring two days to swap pieces around.

Thanks,

Andy B.
1968 JD 350B diesel with Drott 4-in-1 Bucket

B Town
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: 350B with rockshaft- backhoe mount?

Post by B Town » Thu Jun 08, 2023 11:22 am

Hello Andy B,

Your rockshaft will need to be removed to attach a 9300 hoe in its natural/factory configuration.

There is a mounting bracket for the hoe that attaches the unit to the tractor. Once setup, the procedure is relatively quick. I have read here that you will need a hydraulic source from you valve back to the hoe. These hoses must be connected to the home or connected together at all times (if not the hyd pump will dead head and cause irreversible damage).

Best regards, Bruce

PS. Where are you located. I have the correct original draft and lift links for your crawler. We should get together.

boaterri
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by boaterri » Thu Jun 08, 2023 2:13 pm

Hello:
I have a 450C track loader with the same back hoe attachment. With the back hoe on the machine is VERY tail heavy. I would think it would be even worse on a 350. You might be better off finding the next size smaller back hoe attachment. "B town" is right about extending the hydraulic line out the back from the power beyond on the loader valves and looping back to where the loader valve originally discharged.

Good luck,

Rick

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Thu Jun 08, 2023 3:03 pm

To add to what Bruce said, it also has to be a hoe mount, not just the regular "J" hooks that hold a set of counterweights. Hoe mounts have a lot more steel to them as far as attaching forward to withstand the torque of a hoe.

Bruce, I need a set of draft and drop links if you want to sell them.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

Andy B
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by Andy B » Fri Jun 09, 2023 6:18 am

Darn. It sounds like that idea is out the window. I have a few ideas for the 3-pt, and I can see that being used more than a backhoe. At least in the long term.

Bruce,

If Lavoy doesn't take the 3-pt pieces, let me know. I'll PM you.

Andy B.
1968 JD 350B diesel with Drott 4-in-1 Bucket

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Fri Jun 09, 2023 8:13 am

Andy,
You have an immediate need for the pieces, I don't, I'm just working on future projects.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Jim B » Fri Jun 09, 2023 5:19 pm

Andy,
Depending on the digging you want to do with the hoe you might look at a 3 point hitch hoe. It would be lighter for the crawler to carry, easier to attach and detach. Used with reasonable care they can do quite a bit. Some have their own hydraulic systems that use PTO driven pumps so you wouldn't need to add plumbing to your crawler.
Jim