1968 straight 350 electric fuel pump

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
The Jug
420 crawler
420 crawler

1968 straight 350 electric fuel pump

Post by The Jug » Sat Jun 17, 2023 7:46 am

Hello all ! I have a 1968 straight 350 and was considering changing fuel pump and possibly fuel filter to a more mordern after market . I dident see much on this . If there are any threads Somone knows maybe point the way . Any info on this would be greatly appreciated. Maybe best parts to use , pros and cons of this procedure . Thanks in advance .

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: 1968 straight 350 electric fuel pump

Post by Jim B » Mon Jun 19, 2023 4:20 am

I see no one has weighed in with any info on the changes you are considering.

I have had less trouble over the years (well over 50) with the mechanical JD transfer pumps than I have with electric fuel pumps, so that is not a change I would consider. If I had one of the old ones with a sediment bowl on it and had trouble with the bowl sealing, I would upgrade to the newer type of transfer pump with no bowl. And I would likely get one from Lavoy or John Deere, so I have a good feeling of the quality, not shop for the lowest price on Amazon or eBay.

Along the same line of thought about the filters, the type on the 350s (and used on many other machines) have worked for years, and don't give problems unless one has a dirty tank and/or dirty fuel, which changing filter types is not going to solve. If you want to change to spin on type(s), you need to find some that match, or are slightly finer (smaller), in micron rating. The flow rate should match or slightly exceed the flow rate of the current filters on the engine. You might look at the rectangular glass box filters used on later JD engines or the current fuel water separator spin on types used on the newer JD 4039 engines.

Those are my thoughts for what they are worth. Bottom line is it is your crawler and your decision on what modifications you want to make to it.