455e steering adjustment.

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
Bw455E
MC crawler
MC crawler

455e steering adjustment.

Post by Bw455E » Wed Jun 21, 2023 2:54 am

Hello All, New to the forum here, I just purchased a 87' 455e loader, I've only put a few hrs on it and notice the steering levers have quite a bit of travel prior to really locking the brakes. The levers will touch the seat when its in the full forward (short guy) position, I see the adjustment is easy access under the floor so my question is how far should the levers travel from the floor plate to lock the brakes? I don't want to over adjust it and damage anything. Thanks, Brandon.

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: 455e steering adjustment.

Post by Jim B » Wed Jun 21, 2023 4:51 am

Welcome to the Boards. An E series (30 +/- years old) is on the new side of things here. I have an 450E dozer. My steering levers operate as described in the book so I haven't had to adjust anything and won't until there is a problem.

I can tell you the steering and brake adjustments on a 455E are not as simple as just make a couple turns on something. Your machine has wet steering clutches and brakes. The steering levers operate hydraulic valves (no internal clutch linkage, the valves dump oil from the steering clutch piston when the lever is pulled to disengage that clutch) for the clutches as well as brake linkages. The brakes are self-adjusting when working correctly. The lever position affects the valves and brakes, not just one or the other. It sounds like you need to check the entire steering linkage adjustments.

The steering adjustments are detailed enough that they are not in the Operator's Manuals for these machines, the Operator's Manual refers you to contact the dealer. I recommend you acquire the correct Operator's Manual for your 455E (OMT81347 is the base publication number) and the two Technical Manuals: TM1330 Operation and Tests (TM1330OP) and TM1330 Repair (TM1330RE) for your 455E. (OEM John Deere publication numbers will have a "_ alpha" suffix after the base number. The alpha advances with each printing/revision.) The TM1330OP has the steps to adjust the steering valves and brake linkage. TM1330RE will have the wrench turning info to the actual repairs if needed. The operation of the steering valves and brakes are related and from your description I suggest going through the entire adjustment procedure, by the book. It is several pages of text related to the steps and procedures, so the manual is the best method for you to get the information.

Good manuals are not cheap, beware of cheap reprints or electronic copies, they may not be clear copies or may be incomplete. You can check with Lavoy (postmaster@jdcrawlers.com), owner of this website, to see if he has the manuals you need through his store. You can also purchase the Manuals from the JD Bookstore at John Deere construction and Forestry Bookstore for about $400.00 for printed copies. You may be able to find used OEM manuals on eBay.

If you put the Operator's manual publication number in the center search box at the bookstore it will pull it up and you can download and save a copy of the Operator's manual for free, or you can see the cost for the printed or CD copies. The Technical and parts manuals are purchase only for all types of media. You can access the parts catalog (PC2037) online at 455E parts Catalog Have your serial number handy as there may be serial number breaks that affect manuals and parts.
Jim

Bw455E
MC crawler
MC crawler

Re: 455e steering adjustment.

Post by Bw455E » Mon Jun 26, 2023 6:44 am

Thanks for the quick reply, I had figured there was a procedure for setting the brakes. The machine works good as it is and, yep I see the valves you speak of, and I can see there being a balance on the settings to not get the adjustments outta sync. Ill check on the TM and find the procedure prior to working on it.

Also its came with the back hoe attachment that currently works good except for the swing cylinder seems really weak to me. I did read on here about a kit they used to make to convert it. Any clue on what it looked like, I'm sure if I use it enough I'll have to fabricate some modern style swing cylinders in place of the barrel cylinder.