Undercarriage?

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
bdog2
40C crawler
40C crawler

Undercarriage?

Post by bdog2 » Wed Jun 28, 2023 10:38 am

Picked up a '77 JD 550 dozer. Sprockets are worn severely to the point that you can see its increasing chain wear. My question is it common to go thru multiple sprockets throughout the life of the undercarriage. Would it make sense to change only sprockets at the moment and extend the life of my chain or would new sprockets just get chewed up in no time at all. Basically is it normal to go thru multiple sprockets before it's time for a complete undercarriage rebuild? Thanks

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Undercarriage?

Post by Lavoy » Wed Jun 28, 2023 12:36 pm

Sprockets are more likely to be worn by the tracks, not the other way around. If one is shot, both are likelly shot.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

LeonardL
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: Undercarriage?

Post by LeonardL » Wed Jun 28, 2023 12:53 pm

In my opinion?? No... you don't go through multiple sprockets on a given chain. I suspect you have bad pins and bushings as well. Maybe even bad rails. I never had a scenario where I had to replace multiple sprockets on a given undercarriage. I suppose if the machine is in an environment where there is a lot of excessive abrasion going on that you would wear one out ahead of the pins and bushings. I'm not saying it isn't possible but I've just never seen it happen.

It is pretty typical for when a sprocket is done then the track pins and bushings are done as well. There used to be companies around who would turn the pins and bushings 180 degrees and put a new sprocket on and go again. Or you could have new pins and bushings installed by these same folks. Not many places still doing that these days. Now days when the sprockets along with the pins and bushings are toast you just buy new rails and sprockets.

I would also be suspect of the entire undercarriage in general. If your rails are worn down then you start seeing evidence of the "Boss" section of the link will be hitting the flanges on the lower rollers. Aka "Banging the Bosses." Anytime you see excessive wear on any component of a given track system then you should inspect all of the components. If your sprockets are worn this badly then you are most likely going to find other components worn badly as well.
40 plus years working on JD 350s, 400Gs, 450s and other equipment both Ag and Construction.