Track tensioner zerk leaks

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
Cle Elum John
440 crawler
440 crawler

Track tensioner zerk leaks

Post by Cle Elum John » Sun Jul 09, 2023 7:09 pm

The track tension adjustment ram is leaking grease out of the zerk center fill hole. It is amazing how little grease they have to leak to let the track get too slack. Tried a couple of different ones (from the same batch) and they all leak. Does anyone know of a good, reliable brand that will hold grease under pressure. I don't want to rely anymore junk. It's the little things that are the most aggravating.

Thanks for any help
John
Reporting from the Peoples Republic of Washington State.

Bw455E
MC crawler
MC crawler

Re: Track tensioner zerk leaks

Post by Bw455E » Mon Jul 10, 2023 2:18 am

Ive never had that many leak back through the fill hole, the BB should seal it off with no issue, even with several thousand PSI of grease there is still very little pressure on the BB valve. I would try a totally different batch of grease fittings.

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Jim B » Mon Jul 10, 2023 6:14 am

I don't know where you are getting your zerks. If you haven't tried a parts store, I would see if they can get Lincoln or Alemite brand zerks. Their regular zerks are usually fine and they do have high pressure options but would likely need to be ordered. McMaster-Carr has leak proof ones (likely from Lincoln or Alemite). I have seen the no name/store brand lower priced generic ones, sold in many places, leak and are sometimes have poor fit in the threads as well.

Cle Elum John
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by Cle Elum John » Mon Jul 10, 2023 8:29 pm

Deere parts list is now specifying a JD7828 fitting which is a button head grease fitting. I don't want another grease gun for buttonheads. I will try a Alemite or a Lincoln. The no-name fittings may be good for u-joints or ball joints but it looks like I need something that seals a lot better.

Thanks for the recommendations.
John
Reporting from the Peoples Republic of Washington State.

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Jim B » Tue Jul 11, 2023 4:33 am

The current part number for the zerk fitting on a 450E track adjuster is JD10510. If you have a JD dealer nearby you might want to check that one out.