450B front idler and 4/1 questions

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
Labparamour
440 crawler
440 crawler

450B front idler and 4/1 questions

Post by Labparamour » Tue Aug 15, 2023 4:29 pm

Afternoon,
The ol’ 450 hasn’t been used in a bit so I’m looking to get it to my son who just got some acreage.

The front idlers had some pretty black oil and I was hoping to flush out.
Question: does the front idler axle have lube passage going all the way through?
Inside bolt is dry and probing that side the hole is more shallow than outboard side.

4/1 has some torn steel so I’ve cut it off and replacing.
The pivot pins in it have grooves/wear.
A file cuts into the pin easily. So,
Question 2: are the pins just 1 1/2” cold rolled or did someone replace original w mild steel?

(Was going to post a couple pics of bucket repair but I closed my Flickr acct several month ago)

Thanks for any input,
Darryl

Bw455E
MC crawler
MC crawler

Re: 450B front idler and 4/1 questions

Post by Bw455E » Fri Sep 01, 2023 10:42 pm

do you have oem idlers or aftermarket? I never looked at my originals to see how the oil was added, I scrapped my whole oem undercarriage for a new aftermarket one, all the new rollers and idlers have an allen socket head grub screw to add the oil, If it needed changed id have to remove the screw and roll it to the bottom to get some of the oil out but it would probably require several rounds of adding and dumping the oil to get it fresh. I hope this helps.

Labparamour
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by Labparamour » Tue Sep 05, 2023 9:58 am

Thank you for the reply.
Previous owner wasn’t kind with this machine. I think it either threw a track or was put on its side- one front idler had broken spots on flange.
I replaced that idler w one from salvage yard.
But, not sure if either is Deere or not.
One had the Allen plug in bolt other side didn’t.
With bolt pulled, one side of axle can stick screwdriver in about 2”. The other end of axle is shallower.
I tried having both bolts out and forcing oil in- nothing.

Son had an international td-7 and those idlers had offset plug on hub so could do as you mention- put low, drain, rotate and fill.

I just made sure each axle full and we’ll keep running.

Thanks again.
Darryl

Bw455E
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by Bw455E » Sat Sep 09, 2023 1:12 pm

TBH if the oil is only dark and not milky contaminated with water, you did the right thing considering the rpm of the undercarriage components. my oem JD idlers were all steel and dish shaped, the new china made aftermarkets are hollow castings, the oil grub screw is at about a 45 degree angle. My oe components were so terrible worn, I had never even seen a set of tracks worn down so thin, the 3 bar growsers were completely smooth like they had been run on concrete for 10 years, and the bottom rollers were nearly cut through to the axles LOL

Labparamour
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by Labparamour » Tue Sep 12, 2023 1:28 pm

Yup, just foul, black oil.
She’s old. We’re just trying to keep her going.
My son has the crawler now to clear his place.