550G

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
Gmodelquestions
MC crawler
MC crawler

550G

Post by Gmodelquestions » Tue Aug 15, 2023 6:10 pm

I bought a 550G lever steer machine with engine problems. I need to release the brakes to load it and bring it home. What is the procedure to release the brakes with engine not running ?

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: 550G

Post by Jim B » Wed Aug 16, 2023 5:23 am

Welcome to the Boards.

I found the towing procedure is in the Operator's Manual and the Operation and Test manual, if either of those manuals was included with the crawler you purchased. There is a bit to the procedure so it will be best if you have the manual pages with you when you do it (rather than me typing it over from the online manual). The info below will get you to a free copy of the Operator's Manual (direct for the John Deere site so it is safe) which you can download, save to your device and print pages from if you choose.

If you do not have an Operator's manual go to https://www.johndeeretechinfo.com/ . That is the JD bookstore for construction and forestry equipment. You should see a box with ''Search Term'' to the left of it. Type OMT16374 in the box, that is the part number for the 450G, 550G, 650G Operator's Manual. Click the search icon beside the box and it should bring up the manual. When it opens you should see Operator's Manual and the view, download, and purchase options for that manual. Click on Download and you can download and save a free copy of the Operator's Manual. If you want a print copy (or CD, DVD, USB) of the manual, the prices for those are shown below that, they are not free. The Technical Manual (aka service manual) is a two manual set for those machines. The part numbers for those are TM1403 Operation and Test, and TM1404 for the Repair Manual. Both are needed to diagnose and repair the machines. The Parts Catalog is PC2154. Those manuals can be purchased in various forms (including downloads) from that site as well. The Parts Catalog is free to use online at https://partscatalog.deere.com/jdrc/nav ... ment/77456 . HTH
Jim

JWB Contracting
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Re: 550G

Post by JWB Contracting » Wed Aug 16, 2023 7:02 am

Slack the brakes off manually. There is a pipe plug on the outside about the tracks, should take a 3/4” extension. Then use a screwdriver to rotate the adjuster.
Jason Benesch

John Deere 420, 430, 440 & 350C With 3 Point Hitch
John Deere 400G With Winch
John Deere 2010 Crawler Dozer
John Deere 420, 430, 435 & 440 Wheel Tractors