JD450 with a 93A backhoe

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
logandemille
MC crawler
MC crawler

JD450 with a 93A backhoe

Post by logandemille » Wed Aug 16, 2023 8:24 am

Hey everyone, I have a Hydraulic question about my JD450, looking to get some insight

I purchased this 1969 JD450 crawler loader for $400, got it running and moving. I don't know too much about them, but willing to learn. this unit has a 93A Backhoe on it, the spools on the control valve leak badly and it has a lot of sway in the boom.

I cannot find any oring&Seal kit for it to stop its from leaking, and because of the age its next to impossible to buy a whole spool and valve assembly.

I found a generic setup on amazon, a 6 spool control valve rated for 21GPM 3625PSI. from what I can find on the crawler, it has a 28GPM pump.

would the generic setup from amazon work with the 28GPM pump? I don't want to start dumping serious money into it if I am going to have major problems. I don't know to much about hydraulics so any input is appreciated. thank you

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: JD450 with a 93A backhoe

Post by Jim B » Wed Aug 16, 2023 3:52 pm

Welcome to the Boards.

Don't be surprised if you find your post has been moved to the Late Models Board. Things pertaining to the models, 350, 450, and newer should be on that board. Moderators generally move them to the correct Board.

When you say "I cannot find any oring&Seal kit for it to stop its from leaking", have you found some parts, resealed it, and it still leaked? Or you have not found any parts to use?

Do you have the parts books for the crawler and the other one for backhoe?

logandemille
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by logandemille » Thu Aug 17, 2023 7:13 pm

I have tried to match up the Orings to similar ones in size, they still leak and leak by badly. I have tried to contact my local John Deere parts dealer, as weak as a few other sources but anything they have found has been obsolete and they can't match up something similar, they all tell me best bet is to try and piece my own Orings together.

I do have to service manual for the JD450 but cannot find one for the 93 backhoe, it is not apart of the manual as I believe it was sold as a separate ad on to accommodate the JD450.

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Jim B » Fri Aug 18, 2023 5:39 am

SM2062 is the service manual that covers the 93A backhoe attachment. PC864 is the parts catalog.

To find the service manual go to https://www.johndeeretechinfo.com/ . That is the JD bookstore for construction and forestry equipment. You should see a box with ''Search Term'' to the left of it. Type SM2062 in the box, that is the part number for the Service Manual that covers several backhoes of that vintage, including the 93A. Click the search icon beside the box and it should bring up the manual. When it opens you should see Service Manual and purchase options for that manual. Prices are shown for print, CD, DVD, USB, and download of the manual, it is not free.

The Parts catalog is free to use online at https://partscatalog.deere.com/jdrc/nav ... ment/75583 . If you want to purchase a hard copy it can be found the same way at the same bookstore as the service manual.

Kits may be NLA, however it looks the parts catalog gives part numbers for most of the O-rings and seals and sizes for the ones not showing a part number. And substitute numbers are shown for some. Are you getting your O-rings from a Harbor Freight type kit, hardware store type kit, or a place selling hydraulic sealing parts? You need good sealing on these valves, not the cheap generic ones. Type and durometer of the material they are made of comes into play as well as sizing quality. I would expect most need to be a Nitrile material of 75 to 90 durometer. Using the parts catalog, you can make your own list to give the dealer and see how many of them they can get. I ran a few spool O-ring part numbers on my dealer's site, and the ones I ran show as in stock. Again, actual kits may no longer be available, you will need to order individual pieces.

Have you cleaned the valve body? Are the leaks only coming from around the valve spools or also from the joints between the valve body sections and tubing/hose connections to the valve? Do the spools show wear and roughness where the seals ride?

The replacement valve you found would likely work for your occasional use. If you are thinking of starting a business and making money with this machine, you have the wrong machine in my opinion.

As for the play in the swing, those hoes have the rotary swing cylinder. You want to research parts for that before spending a lot of money on the hoe. They were not the greatest thing going and I believe all manufacturers stopped using them and went to opposing linear cylinders. Many people who have hoes with rotary cylinders just live with the drift, adding chains to hold it from swinging to the sides on its own when traveling and not using the hoe.

Backhoes on crawlers can be hard on final drive bearings as well.

boaterri
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by boaterri » Fri Aug 18, 2023 7:42 am

Down the road, when you get the machine working, you will want to keep the backhoe attachment off unless you actually need it. The machine is very tail heavy with the hoe and it is much easier to maneuver without a 10 foot tail following it around. The front bucket will dig and grade much better too.
My experience with a 450 C and 9300 hoe.

jsal
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by jsal » Sat Aug 19, 2023 11:36 am

for your control valve leakes there aviable quad rings aviable as a replacement for the o ring seals any good hydraulic shop should have them just match with our o rings JIM

jsal
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by jsal » Sat Aug 19, 2023 11:39 am

just looked on Amazon lots of kits on there !!!