550G

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
Gmodelquestions
MC crawler
MC crawler

550G

Post by Gmodelquestions » Tue Aug 29, 2023 6:27 pm

The starter was missing when we bought the dozer. Serial number tag on the engine is missing. Can I find out what starter I need by the casting numbers on the block ?

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: 550G

Post by Jim B » Wed Aug 30, 2023 5:09 am

From what I see in the parts catalog the casting numbers would not positively identify a serial number range of your engine. Missing the serial number tag could mean the engine/block has been replaced.

Talk to the parts and service departments of your JD construction and Forestry equipment dealer about this. There is the possibility that since you are going to have to by a starter outright (no core to exchange) any of the starters in the parts catalog will fit. They might be listed by engine serial number because when a given engine was built, the starter for that build run was from a different manufacturer or torque rating, in which case they would show them with different part numbers for repair parts (solenoid, etc.) and core exchange reasons. The starter motors may have different torque ratings. Some cores are more valuable, and they don't want to take cores for a different starter than you buy. It looks like the flywheels all use the same ring gear. Also, you might have to change a wire or two around. If you have the machine serial number the dealer may be able to find out what the serial number of the original engine was, which may or may not be the engine it has now. Just my thoughts.