JD 450B Stuck in Gear-No Hydraulic Pressure

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
INTHESTIX
MC crawler
MC crawler

JD 450B Stuck in Gear-No Hydraulic Pressure

Post by INTHESTIX » Fri Sep 08, 2023 2:20 am

Bought a 450B for parts but decided to revive. It runs forward and reverse fine and both clutches froze. So I have been tearing it down to bust the tracks and do the clutches. I have removed the hydraulics hoses and the break bands are loose. I am attempting to come along the tracks to position the Master Pin and the thing is stuck in gear as both tracks want to move. Is there some way to manually place it in neutral possibly by removing the top Trans cover...or another way? I had no issues moving the tracks like this on my 450C. I am not seasoned at Dozer repair and have allot to learn. I dont want to screw up the transmission so I am asking for some direction.
SCOTT

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: JD 450B Stuck in Gear-No Hydraulic Pressure

Post by Jim B » Fri Sep 08, 2023 6:19 am

Welcome to the Boards.

You are working on two different steering systems.

Your 450C has wet steering clutches. They do not have pressure plates and throwout bearings in the steering clutch system. They have hydraulic pistons which are engaged with hydraulic pressure when the engine is running. They release (disengage) to let a track freewheel when a steering lever is pulled (letting the valve for that clutch dump the oil from that clutch) or when there is no hydraulic pressure (such as when the engine is not running).

It is most likely the 450B you got has dry steering clutches (Some of the last 450Bs did get wet steering clutches as the dry clutch parts ran out). If it was one of the late ones that has wet clutches it should act like your 450C. Dry clutches are mechanically released by pulling back on the lever to move the throwout bearing, which presses on the pressure plate fingers to release the steering clutch. It may have the hydraulic assist steering. If so those cylinders, located under the seat, only assist moving the lever, the dry clutch is still mechanically operated through linkage and the assist cylinders connected to the levers.

There is no differential, like the one in a vehicle drive axle, in these crawlers so you can't turn just one track unless you disengage one or both steering clutches. If the steering clutches were not frozen, the levers can be pulled and tied back to hold the clutches released. If the clutches are "frozen" engaged as you describe, you need to jack and block the crawler body with both tracks clear of the ground, so both tracks can turn at the same time when you try to turn one. The gear transmission should be in neutral to avoid turning more of the drive train than necessary.

I suggest you get a copy of the 450B technical manual TM1033. The TM1102 technical manual, for your 450C, will not be correct in many areas for your 450B, such as the steering system. Lavoy Wilcox, who provides this site for our use, may have the manual available through his store. For parts questions he prefers people contact him via email at: postmaster@jdcrawlers.com or call him at: 701-361-1006 during CST business hours. He will be an excellent source for the parts you will need to make the repairs.
HTH
Jim