John Deere 450 CA-- Left Steering lever=> no resistance

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
wednesdar
MC crawler
MC crawler

John Deere 450 CA-- Left Steering lever=> no resistance

Post by wednesdar » Sat Sep 09, 2023 12:06 am

Greetings,
I have a John Deere 450CA, Serial 332388T, with a Drott 4 in 1 bucket and a hoe on it. Both are definitely oversized for this machine, but it does wicked wheelies!

In any case, when I pull back on the left steering lever, I feel absolutely no resistance. It simply never engages. It does occasionally cause the tractor to steer however, mostly when the tractor is under load, such as moving uphill, right when the clutch is released or if I pump the brake a bit.

Things I've tried:
I did disconnect the line to the clutch steering housing and confirm that fluid is (gushing) through it when the tractor is running. I also disconnected the steering linkage from the steering valve hydraulics to see if adjusting the eyebolt in or out would make a difference. It did not, but with the linkage disconnected, the steering valve really does just want to spring out. I know it has a spring behind it, but this almost seems like there's air pressure or something pushing it out... not sure if that's normal. In any case, I also tried to loosen off the little 3/8" square head pipe plug that's labeled "pressure relief valve" in the manual, but it sure is stubborn. Wanted to ask here if people thought that would make any difference before I got midieval on it.

That said, I would be extremely grateful if someone could point me in the right direction as far as next steps. Hopefully it's something simple like adjusting brake bands... Checking line pressures/cracking the steering clutch housing are feeling above my pay grade as far as I don't believe myself competent to recognize an issue other than a worn/missing O-ring... and as to that, I can't seem figure out which one people keep saying to replace!

Will also throw it out here that if anyone on this board is near Santa Cruz, CA, or even knows someone near here, and competent to diagnose and/or fix this issue please be in touch. I would gladly compensate someone able to point me in the right direction financially. Our closest Deere dealer charges an arm and a leg just to come out and take a peek.
Thank you all!

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: John Deere 450 CA-- Left Steering lever=> no resistance

Post by Jim B » Sat Sep 09, 2023 1:28 pm

Welcome to the Boards.

On the housekeeping side of things, don't be surprised to find a moderator has moved this thread to the Late Models Board, that is the board questions about machines starting with and following the first 350s and 450s are normally kept.

You have a 450c, the A designates it as a loader configuration and the serial number falls in the 1979 build year. A 450C has wet steering clutches and brakes. So that everyone is looking at this and describing things the same. A steering lever forward, in the normal run position, is steering clutch engaged. Steering lever pulled back towards the operator is steering clutch disengaged for turning. The oil pressure is supposed to keep the steering clutches engaged anytime the engine is running. When you pull back on a steering lever the valve is supposed to dump the oil pressure from the selected steering clutch allowing it to disengage. Pulling the lever further back towards the operator applies the brake on that side.

I would not recommend messing with the '' pressure relief valve'' pipe plug, or any other pressure setting, without having the proper test gear as laid out in the manual.

To clarify what is happening. If you put the bucket against something you can't move (use 1st gear, low range), will both tracks spin? If the left track spins when you try that, does it stop if you pull the left lever to disengage the left steering clutch? If it stops and you hold the lever back, does it stay stopped or start spinning again while the lever is held back? Does the right side act the same when you pull its lever? Do the levers move/pull about the same distance towards you to stop each track? When pushing against something immoveable, if both tracks will spin and each will stop when its lever is pulled, that indicates the clutches are working properly and the problem maybe in that side's brake system. If a track won't stop spinning when its lever is pulled it indicates a clutch issue. Doing things with the crawler against something immoveable, will give definite easily visible results compared to your saying it occasionally steers under load, moving uphill, etc. Try these things and see what the results are.

As for a mechanic local to you. You might check with contractors in your area that have their own equipment fleet. They may know of local mobile mechanics. Some may even do repairs for others in their shops.

wednesdar
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by wednesdar » Sat Sep 09, 2023 10:52 pm

Thank you for your reply. Have never thought to plow it into an immovable object, but I can tomorrow. It was actually steering a bit better today, so perhaps it appreciated being tinkered with. Right side is good. Left side steers best when i pull it half way, what it's not doing is "applying the brake" and tank turning when i pull it all the way back. When I pull all the way back, there is no resistance, and no response from the tractor.
Will report back.

wednesdar
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by wednesdar » Mon Sep 11, 2023 12:11 am

Ok, so I steered straight into a stump today... and both tracks continued spinning. Not sure what that means. Please advise.

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Jim B » Mon Sep 11, 2023 4:30 am

Both tracks spin so the steering clutches are engaged properly to begin with. Now for the rest of what I suggested and asked. The next part of that was to pull the left clutch, while it was spinning, and see if the track stopped. How far did it pull to disengage? Then do the same for the right track. Did the levers pull an equal amount to disengage? Those tests tell if the clutch is disengaging correctly. If the clutches stop their respective track at the same amount of lever travel (your service manual may give you a dimension for that travel), the clutches are disengaging correctly. If a track disengaged (stopped spinning), that would narrow it to a brake problem on that side. If a track didn't stop spinning it would be a steering clutch problem on that side.

The intent of the tests I gave in my first post was to narrow things down as to what the problem might be and where to look. If it narrows down to just the brake, you might be able to make an adjustment to it. Much beyond this and you are going to need tools, pressure gauges, and do the diagnostic tests in the manual, which you indicated in your first post that you did not feel you could do. I should have asked; did this happen all at once or progressively get worse over time?

wednesdar
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by wednesdar » Mon Sep 11, 2023 9:25 pm

Right... sorry to be dense. Tractor is parked near the stump in question. Will retest tomorrow!

As far as all at once vs. over time, the tractor came with a piece of land I acquired in 2018. Just really got it running last winter. Had to do some major repairs to hydraulics as the hose that lifts the bucket was exploded and soon after the hose that lifts the hoe followed suit. There was also a clogged fuel line and an air leak that was making it difficult to start, now it fires 1st hit every time!! In any case, it was never terrific... really does so much better under load than if it's on the flat or certainly if it's going downhill.