JD450 C In New Zealand clutch/drive issue

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
NIKinNZ
40C crawler
40C crawler

JD450 C In New Zealand clutch/drive issue

Post by NIKinNZ » Thu Sep 21, 2023 2:35 am

Hello All, this is my first post and my first ever JD Dozer. I recently acquired a 1975 JD 450 C, it runs and drives good but does not turn right well, I’ve heard all about the belts and clutches, and been on YouTube and watched hours of videos on how to adjust the brake band/clutch. The issue is my model seems different, I don’t have the two small inspection hatches under the seat with the adjusters etc, instead it looks like I need to remove the full seat/back end to get to two large plates that can be removed? I suspect my clutch may be a wet clutch? Is that correct
. The strange thing is, in reverse I seem to have relatively good steering, it is just forward I have the issue, the left hand track stop/control works well and feels like there is hydraulic resistance, the right one has nothing. Is this a hydraulic steering issue? Any pointers/guides/advice greatly appreciated.

original possum
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Re: JD450 C In New Zealand clutch/drive issue

Post by original possum » Fri Sep 22, 2023 9:14 am

It appears your steering brake is way out of adjustment on that side. Brakes usually work better in reverse because of the direction the drum turns within the band. You need a manual to adjust the brakes properly. I have no experience with 450's at all so this is general based on the info you gave.
Early 40C w/Yakima toolbar and homebuilt ripper: 350 w/6-way

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: JD450 C In New Zealand clutch/drive issue

Post by Jim B » Fri Sep 22, 2023 10:26 am

Welcome to the Boards.

You have been looking at videos of the older machines with dry steering clutches, that do not apply to your 450C. A 450C has wet steering clutches and brakes, they run in an oil bath. The clutches are operated by hydraulic pressure, not mechanical linkages like the dry type. They are engaged by hydraulic pressure and released by the valve under the seat when you pull on a steering lever. The brakes are supposed to be self-adjusting linkage. As original possum posted, you need to get a Technical Manual. TM1102 is the manual for a North American 450C. It would be best to check with a JD dealer and have them verify, by serial number, that is the right manual for yours. The manual will have diagnostic info and repairs related to the issue(s) found. It might be a brake adjustment (which is described in the manual), or it might be in the controls. Properly diagnosing the issue first is best. You should also get an Operator's Manual for it. Given you are in NZ I can say for certain but it is likely the Parts Catalog is available online, they are here in the US, a JD dealer should be able to tell you.