JD350 - PTO

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
gdmoore
MC crawler
MC crawler

JD350 - PTO

Post by gdmoore » Thu Sep 21, 2023 11:34 am

I am looking at a JD350 (I believe a 1967) that appears to have a three point hitch with a PTO. Or at least it has a PTO cover. In looking at photos of 50 or so JD 350s I have never seen one with the same rear setup as this one. Has anyone ever seen such? It has a caution sticker on the tractor that says not to run the tractor without the PTO cover and the cover only protrudes about 1", not near long enough to attach a bush hog to. I am guessing one would have to put a PTO shaft in this slot. Anyone familiar with this rear setup?
Also, the idlers appear very rusty, is this a big issue?

Please see links to photos.

Newbie with no experience - Thanks, Greg

https://scontent-atl3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/ ... e=6511074D

https://scontent-atl3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/ ... e=651102C0

https://scontent-atl3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/ ... e=6511123E

https://scontent-atl3-2.xx.fbcdn.net/v/ ... e=65111C21

B Town
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: JD350 - PTO

Post by B Town » Thu Sep 21, 2023 11:47 am

Welcome to the site,
I really like the pics. What a find, nice OEM three point with center link.
The sticker is a “generic “ sticker attached to almost all of our late model yellow machines. The cover is where a winch drive or the pto shaft would go. There is definitely not room for a pto under that cover. When they say keep the covers in place, they are talking about a tin pto cover liked used on a typical farm tractor. Obviously the crawlers had their own, but they look very similar. It is possible there is a winch drive under that cap. Lift the rear up about 6-8 inches to avoid a fluid flood and take a look under the cap.

Best regards, Bruce

gdmoore
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by gdmoore » Thu Sep 21, 2023 8:03 pm

Thanks, what about the rusty idler...is that a workable piece?

LeonardL
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by LeonardL » Sat Sep 23, 2023 5:13 pm

You are correct that there should be a winch drive under that cap. The cap is there because it seals the transmission to keep the oil in it. With a winch installed there is a gasket that goes between the two housings and that winch drive will spline into a receiving collar in the winch assembly. There isn't always a shaft still in place however and you really need to look to be sure. Most 350s without a winch drive had a flat plate covering the hole. My point is, just because there is a cover doesn't always mean there will be a shaft behind it. These machines are old and have had a lot of things changed over their life spans. I said all of that in case you are wanting a winch. If you are wanting a PTO then read on.

In order for you to have a PTO that you can hook a bush hog to requires a PTO shaft and housing that replaces the winch shaft. You will also need to look and see if you have the PTO engagement lever located about your left heel while sitting in the operators position. Without that engagement lever you will be in direct engagement at the PTO. Most winch drives do not have the PTO engagement lever because they turn all of the time. So if a PTO is what you are looking for then you will need to be sure of this before you buy the machine.

Another thing to consider is you don't have a PTO clutch on a 350. So you can't disengage the PTO at the clutch pedal like you can with a live power Ag tractor.

A word of experienced advice. Bush hogs are not your friend behind a crawler. A crawler can go into rougher areas which seems like a good thing. But not really. First of all your hog takes a beating because you are trying to cover ground they're not supposed to be in. Then your crawler turns so sharp and so quick in comparison to an Ag tractor that you will constantly be breaking something. Pull type hogs are a bit better but not really. As I mentioned, a crawler turns sharper than a tractor and keeping the hog away from the tracks is almost impossible. Not to mention the drive shafts you will ruin from turning so sharply.

I have ran both the three point and the pull type and hated both. But that is me. Maybe I'm just an idiot. I'm sure there will be others that will totally disagree with me on this and thats totally fine. This is just my experience.
40 plus years working on JD 350s, 400Gs, 450s and other equipment both Ag and Construction.

Weasel
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by Weasel » Sun Oct 01, 2023 10:10 pm

Evening,

This seems to be a similar thread to what I have a question for. I have a 1983 JD350C with the PTO on the rear. It's currently hooked to a wood chipper. What I'm trying to figure out is where the PTO disengagement mechanisms is at. My owners manual shows an engagement lever at the left foot but I'm not seeing any lever. Looks to be a dipstick where that lever might have gone.

Curious to the comment above on the winch models, and how the PTO drive interfaced with the winch and the controls for that.

If it is active how do you reverse directions with an attachment on the unit (as in the wood chipper)?

And is there a source for covers with the attachment off or do folks just bust out a plastic printer and make them?

Thanks.